TPS Calibration Issues (Continued)

Audiophyle

TPS Calibration Issues (Continued)

Post by Audiophyle »

This is an old topic back from the dead (my car was garaged for ~2yrs).
Vehicle is an 04 Element MT with an 05 AT ECU equipped with KTuner.

My TPS will not zero, at idle with throttle plate fully closed KTuner shows the TPS at 10%. TPS voltage is at the correct 0.5v closed & 4.5v at WOT, confirmed via DMM.
This is the same problem I was having 2 years ago before I parked the car, which started after trying a PRB tune (setup for my k24a4) then switching back to a PZD tune. KTuner worked flawlessly for 2-3 years before this point, but after the base tune switch I have not been able to get the TPS to read right again with KTuner (OEM ECU still had zero problems, while KTuner would rev hang until I came to a complete stop). It doesnt make any sense & Ive been told that it shouldnt be possible. (which I agree with, yet here we are)

Since then I have tried using a second socketed PZD ECU with KTuner, same TPS problem.
I recently upgraded from my original Rev0 board to the new board, TPS problem still present.
I installed & clocked a new TPS with DMM, and problem is STILL present.

Voltage at the TPS is equal to the voltage at the ECU, so wiring is fine.
I also installed a GReddy Informeter (via OBD2 port) and it too reports the correct TPS voltage matching the DMM voltage as measured at the ECU & TPS plug, which I believe the GReddy gauge is pulling from the ECU's data communication, so the ECU is seeing & reporting the correct voltage.

If I re-clock the TPS to drop the voltage I can get the TPS value to drop in KTuner, but even as low as 0.13v the TPS value in KTuner STILL wont go below 2%, and if I clock the TPS any lower than that KTuner's TPS value jumps up to 30% and just stops responding. (I have to cycle power to the ECU to get the TPS to start working again)
Clocking the TPS in the other direction only results in a higher TPS reading, as expected.

Literally EVERYTHING has been replaced & confirmed to be working within OEM specification. Even the old tune has been replaced with a new KTuner base tune built from the latest release (at the time, about 2 months ago), and the TPS value still refuses to cooperate. There must be a bug or something within the software, that is the only logical explanation I can come up with.
How difficult would it be to add TPS calibration to the PZD plaform? (like the PRB has)

I am trying to finish my turbo build and this is one of the last hurdles remaining.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: TPS Calibration Issues (Continued)

Post by KTuner »

The unit has nothing to do with this. This is factory code that remains unaltered by us. If it worked with the PRB codebase I'd suggest using that again since you're MT. Everything will function. Zero should be set if you don't want to rely on the ECU and you'll need to flash for it to save. I have no other suggestions.
Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle »

The PRB tune compromises the temp gauge in the gauge cluster, and using it is when I first encountered the TPS issue, so no I cant just go back to using the PRB. & I shouldnt have to because KTuner worked perfectly fine for years with the PZD reflash tune.

But that is also irrelevant because I have replaced EVERYTHING (new ECU, new KTuner board, new TPS, new base tune, new install of the latest KTuner release) and the TPS voltage is perfectly within OEM Spec & the ECU is digitally relaying that same correct voltage through the OBD2 port. So this issue should not even exist right now, so why is it?

I am not complaining or trying to be difficult, I just want to resolve this issue & it feels like I am being brushed off because you refuse to accept this is KTuner related. KTuner must be seeing the correct TPS values within the ECU because my scan gauge does & a stock ECU does too, so why is KTuner using the wrong TPS value?
I will happily send you my tune & datalogs if you can dig through them to find a problem, but there is a problem somewhere & it cannot be mechanical because I have already replaced EVERYTHING.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

If it worked fine before nothing has changed with the KTuner software for that platform.

PRB codebase does indeed run the multiplexer for AC and gauge cluster on the RSX and Element, which includes ECT. One of our own techs runs his on that. If you don't see that operational on the PRB codebase you have more issues than you think. 05 AT ECU had multiplexer capabilities built in, of course, so the ECU is fine as well.
Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle »

I will try the PRB code base again, with fingers crossed.

But everything is essentially new, and the setup worked fine previously, so WHY is it not working now?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

That's a great question. Other than resetting the ECU, flashing, and datalogging the unit does nothing in the way of interfering with ECU operation. It's all programmed into the ECU itself, hence the flashing part of the process.
Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle »

Agreed, which is also why I think the scan gauge shows the correct TPS voltage from the ECU, but it looks like KTuner is offsetting the actual TPS value by +10% when it shouldnt be, and if the PRB code base can alter it's reported TPS value (because it has a TPS calibration option) it must be possible for the PZD tune to do the same, because like you said nothing actually changes & it's only software. If I had the option to adjust KTuner's TPS value in the PZD (via a calibration or offset parameter) I could remedy the situation easily because mechanically everything is operating normally.

You mentioned once before the PRB & PZD utilize different areas of flash memory, is it possible for remnants to remain when reflashing between these two code bases?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Try with the PRB code and let me know.

You can always kill power if you're going back and forth, but the ECU is reset with each key on.
Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle »

Loaded the PRB tune & the TPS actually read at 0%, coolant gauge on the dash also seemed to be working, but the ignition timing wasnt quite right. Maybe a setting issue, either way this was the first time I have seen the TPS show 0% at idle in a very long time, and after a reset & reflash back to the PZD tune the TPS remained to show 0% at idle. Coincidence or not I dont know, but I am just happy to be back to square one.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

That's some progress. PRB ignition timing is definitely different than PZD, as they're different displacement engines.

Return to “03-06 Element Specific”