Ktuner v.1.2 Tune Loss

MG790RC

Ktuner v.1.2 Tune Loss

Post by MG790RC »

I will try to be as descriptive as possible relating to my issue, so forgive if this feels drawn out or redundant in anyway.

Today after finally getting around to setup the TunerViewLite app directly on the head unit for display use (rather than prior method of using my phone). That being said ALL steps list on Ktuner site were read and followed exactly as listed regarding 2018 Honda Civic Type R "HondaHack Root" info and the setup of blue tooth info related for pairing directly after that.

Being that I had a very reputable individual local to my area (who actually recommends Ktuner over hondata to boot with his 800+hp civic supporting Ktuners v2 Model as well) and familiar with Ktuner and the process of reflashing aspects, tune my car two weeks ago and did a great job, along with giving me small education on do's and don'ts and what to be aware of in case there may be future of issue present related logging or gauge info. That being said in the process of doing my tune for me he used his laptop (obviously having to register the initial setup on said laptop belonging to him with his user name, etc) Well fast forward to this Friday (2-8-19) and as stated prior, after reading the help sections on how to use the head unit for display use with TuneView Lite, I (the unlucky bastard that I seem to be) not currently owning a laptop presently (Here is where I think the issue comes into play, being that its where I began feeling sketchy about the whole process to begin with) use my desktop PC, plug the OBD2 module via usb in, go through the setup of adding my device with an associated email and simply changing the suggested bluetooth option preferences listed exactly as directed for the method and unplug and head to my car to finish up. (Or so I thought and surely hoped) Mind you I spoke to the said individual (who did tuning) at time of tuning who made me aware that he had removed the bluetooth setting of pairing with or without code option during the tune process to begin with, (so I was made aware of this ) that intial setting was with the opposite of what would be needed to make this method of using the head unit for display purpose work ( which was set then to having bluetooth pairing code off, hinting why my dumbass had to go and mess with it). I plug it in everything works with the display as suggested, not relating to performance being lost which was later found out in the later hours of the day to my surprise.
All that being said that I did (changes made by me before the tune loss) or didnt do in hopes its an easy fix and I cant stop stressing about trying to get back to said person and have to get it re-tuned prior to trying to accomplish this endeavor of mine, or damage something if that would be my "lucky" case, (not) was plug the module via usb into my pc and change the bluetooth settings, NOT anything related to flashing, factory reset or anything to obviously make the tune not present to a basic level of troubleshooting. Certainly one would assume that not having the OBD2 module plugged in to the car since I don't have a laptop as stated prior, and just changing a simple bluetooth setting not play a role in some how ERASING or Hiding or Something fo the nature, because based on several trail runs early in the night not only I but my significant other both noticed the performance greatly reduced and or almost not even present.

(Please For the love of the Great thing which I had to go somehow fuck up, help me and know any help with be greatly greatly appreciated.)

EDIT
Also if its to any help or worth on trouble shooting or for future insight, I forgot to mention during the tune process the gentlemen referred to in the original post, when he informed me about the bluetooth option being off during the tune process prior, We did discuss after I asked "Just for my knowledge, if I was to want to change that for some reason would it cause and issue with said tune ever since I dont have laptop or the data stored prior in your laptop?" to which he said, "To be clear you know I did have an SI not an R and so I needed that setting off for intent and purpose of my setup at the time, however the ECU holds the tune not the module and if you weren't hooked to the car since you said you dont have a laptop to do this anyway consider this : it isnt plugged in to the car if its plugged into your desktop thats say in your house right? so how could it if you arent hitting things like reflash or factory tune in which case why would you with no car to plug up to?" Which made sense, so hopefully that me doing this stupid thing I somehow did was in fact not the case.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Ktuner v.1.2 Tune Loss

Post by KTuner »

Hello,

Long winded confusing post here and I'm failing to see what you're talking about unfortunately. I'm going to take a few shots in the dark to respond to a few things mentioned anyway.

If you didn't flash, you didn't erase or lose anything on the ECU. The tune is still there. The unit can be removed any time without affecting the tune.

You can switch BT Pin settings without affecting anything regarding tunes on the unit or vehicle.

If you chose Clear Tunes and then agreed to do so any tunes stored on the V1.2 were erased. We make this double redundant by asking if you're sure you'd like to clear all tunes. Not something that can happen by accident. Either way this still doesn't effect the tune on the vehicle in any way.

If you want to modify the tune your tuner provided then you need a copy of that tune. You can then modify and flash the vehicle or upload to store it on the V1.2.

If I didn't tackle your actual question there, if you could simply your issue or concern into a few statements that clearly outline it, perhaps I can actually see what it is you think is actually a problem in this scenario. I don't currently see what that is.
MG790RC

Post by MG790RC »

Again I want to apologize for that fact I was trying to figure out how to be as descriptive as humanly possible.
That begin said I have no Idea what is going on EXCEPT for the fact that it is obvious by not only myself but two other individuals that the performance prior to the BT change actions I performed somehow managed to make, have removed themselves. Thus mean I can feel NO absolutely NO performance upgrade as i did prior to doing the steps in the "confusing" posted originally

However I managed to get a hold on the guy that did the tune and he is going to look at it (thank what ever deity fits here) and I will post the outcome after (7:00pm central)

Again thanks for the response regardless.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Changing BT Pin, upload tunes, clearing tunes. None of that can affect the vehicle's performance.

Only flashing a tune can overwrite what's on the ECU. Unless you flashed the ECU via the TunerView Android app or KTuner PC app that's not what has changed.
MG790RC

Post by MG790RC »

Sorry for the late reply,

After getting to the individual (mentioned prior as well) who tuned my car prior to random mishap, he was able to confirm that there was in fact no tune except factory setting on car's ECU after plugging in his laptop prior to applying a re-flashing of ECU. That being said, he was not sure in the slightest as to why it went back to stock either. He did however setup logging parameters moving forward and will revisit (in a month when we do our next round of upgrades) the recorded data as to possibly find an anomaly (relating to issue) that could in the future save a headache or maybe shed light on what might have happened.
No matter thanks again for your quick response and help all the same.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The only thing he could verify is that tunes saved in slots 1-5 have been erased. That doesn't affect the vehicle's performance. Only flashing a tune can change what's actually on the ECU, which is completely separate from what is stored on the KTuner V1.2. That can only be done via the KTuner software or the TunerView app.

Return to “17-21 Civic Type-R FK8”