Explanation for Fan Control parameters, please (FK8)

baldheadracing1

Explanation for Fan Control parameters, please (FK8)

Post by baldheadracing1 »

Hi - I couldn't find any explanation for the Fan Control parameters. Can you please confirm/update my understanding?

Given what is displayed in the attached pic (FK8 base maps):

- Fan turns on at low speed at 'Hysterisis Threshold Lo' of 189F; at 'Low/High Control Lo' of 181F it turns off after the 'Fan Afterrun Time' of 90 seconds?

- Fan turns on high speed at 'Hysterisis Threshold Hi' of 199F; at 'Low/High Control Hi' of 189F it either:
a) turns off after the 'Fan Afterrun Time' of 90 seconds if the temperature is below the 'Hysterisis Threshold Lo' of 189F; or
b) switches to low speed if the temp if the temperature is above the 'Hysterisis Threshold Lo' of 189F (and below the 'Hysterisis Threshold Hi' of 199F)?

- Is 'Fan Afterrun Time' independent of motor on/off, key on/off, etc.?

- Is ECT or ECT2 used? As an aside, where are these sensors?

- What is max value of 'Fan Afterrun Time, please?'
KTunerFanControl.jpg
(45.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Explanation for Fan Control parameters, please (FK8)

Post by KTuner »

You'll want to focus on the low hi temperatures for ECT. Hysterisis thresholds are for history of the temperatures over time. Afterrun systems are designed for key off. If you don't want to tax the power system I wouldn't extend this too much.
baldheadracing1

Post by baldheadracing1 »

KTuner wrote:You'll want to focus on the low hi temperatures for ECT. Hysterisis thresholds are for history of the temperatures over time. Afterrun systems are designed for key off. If you don't want to tax the power system I wouldn't extend this too much.
So, if I understand you correctly, my understanding above is wrong; I was incorrectly thinking in terms of deadbands in control circuits like thermostats.

Essentially, I want settings for a high-ambient-temp track-only tune. Thus, could I set:
'Low/High Control Lo' to 99F
'Low/High Control Hi' to 100F
and leave the two hysteresis settings untouched from stock
... and the fans would essentially always be on unless the ECT was below 100F?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

There should be more gap between them so it's not constantly kicking in and out of lo/hi modes. Give it a try and see if it runs up to your expectations.

Return to “17-21 Civic Type-R FK8”