Question about giving out my Ktuner's serial number...

xTWISTED_WAYZx

Question about giving out my Ktuner's serial number...

Post by xTWISTED_WAYZx »

Question regarding a request from a mechanic. My car had been having some misfire issues. Not necessarily pertaining to ktuner as the problem was a thing before ever being tuned.

I had mechanic come out to help me diagnose an intermittent but reoccurring issue with a misfire code and also a p0088 fuel rail pressure to high code which sends the car into its safe mode. In our testing he put a lot of work trying to narrow this problem down. The car was flashed back to stock so no tune was running during these tests.

He ends up aiming the problem at my high pressure fuel pump. He really gave it his all and i was very thankful for his determination. However, he contacted me today asking me what tune, and tuner i was using as well as what down pipe and i had installed. I told him. Then he asks what serial number is my ktuner. He also asked for my ecu software numbers. I said ok ill get it to you but im not at home.

My question is this, is it safe to give him that data? He seems to be trying to double check his work, to make sure the problem is truly the high pressure fuel pump. I said i already ordered it and he said thats fine he was sure its not functioning right . Or something along that line.

I mean i found the questions kinda much but he was definitely dedicated to helping me, and so i feel inclined to trust him but then again im not a professional when it comes to this type of device nor the software . He said he was wanting to make sure honda didnt update my software to a newer one, im guessing that the ecu software number can change ?!? I know honda just updated my my car few months ago so hell if i know do i give it to him lol?
    KTuner
    Site Admin

Re: Question about giving out my Ktuner's serial number...

Post by KTuner »

Most tuners that lock tunes to a specific unit will ask for the serial number in order to do so. It's not relevant for anything else.
    The ECU software number is a necessity in order to create the proper tune file for your ECU type.

Return to “KTunerFlash V1.2 Specific Questions”