Imploded Turbo.

JeffB88

Imploded Turbo.

Post by JeffB88 »

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and new to Ktuner.

I just got my car back from the dealership yesterday. I was running the stage 2.0 dual tune with 93 fuel. Car ran perfect for about a week. Then my worst fears happened. I let her rip on the interstate and and lost all power, car wouldn't shift and rolled to a stop, then shut off. It never started again.

So, I had it towed to the nearest dealership (I flashed back to stock while waiting on roadside assistance.) Once the dealership diagnosed the car they informed the turbo pretty much imploded. The intercooler was damaged as well as the catalytic converter.

Surprisingly I guess honda didn't really check into the ecu to see if it was tampered with. Long story short Honda paid for the repairs. (Car only has 26000 miles).

I dont know if I was running the wrong tune.(Maybe should have done stage 1). Or if this was some freak accident. The mechanic said he never seen a turbo fail on this platform in this fashion. So I'm guessing honda handle this as a defective Turbo?

Would any of you guys shed some light on how long you've been running your tunes? Preferably users with stock engines.

Thank you for your time.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Imploded Turbo.

Post by KTuner »

Sounds like your turbo was defective. Glad you're all fixed up.
brian3x@icloud.com

Re: Imploded Turbo.

Post by brian3x@icloud.com »

Well, this concerns me.

I had an almost exactly similar situation on a 1600 mile trip.

I have the 2 stage applied and have since the car had 7k miles on it.

After almost completing the trip and cooler weather than most of the trip. Had the pedal floored and it was pulling as usual when just as I cut over someone blocking the passing lane and the car engine died.

It was running @2k rpm, no throttle response at all. Check engine light immediately came on when it stopped pulling.

It seemed to me as a computer protective measure.

I coasted to the next exit, turned it off and IMMEDIATELY back on, check engine light was gone and car was back to normal.

Until I got close to home I didn’t use the turbo hard like that but have since and no issues.

I had the dealer get the code and it was Stability Control code…very odd.

I just turned over 24k miles. It’s a 2018 and just out of warranty.

Your experience definitely concerns me. 😔

Anyone have similar experience to me without mechanical failure ?

Return to “18+ Accord Specific”