06 CRV ECU

BerKo

06 CRV ECU

Post by BerKo »

Hi there,

I realize its unsupported but I was wondering if you can confirm if the Ktuner end user board will work (communicate at all) with a 06 CRV ecu. Is your hardware locked to the part numbers which are supported? It looks to have the correct layout and i've installed jumpers on mine already. This ecu was drive by wire however i was looking to pin in a TPS to A29 (I have no idea if this will work)

Cheers,

Richard
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: 06 CRV ECU

Post by KTuner »

It has to be supported in order for it to work as a tuning application. If you program over it you will lose what's on it. A drive by wire setup will not run a cable throttle setup properly since it has no IACV control. It needs to be modified.
BerKo

Post by BerKo »

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I know these are unsupported ECU's so appreciate you highlighting issues. Are you able to guide me to if the circuitry for the IACV and TPS will exist? I understand these will both need to be rewired into the respective pins on the A plug. Plan is to run a throttle body from a cable car along with sensors and 2 new wires back to the correct pins in the ECU.

Also a couple of general questions regarding this and Ktuner:
1) Would programming over this ECU with something like a TSX tune (as that's the engine I'd be using this with) allow this to be tunable?
2) If i lock the board with this ECU to investigate this - will i be able to unlock to use the board on a supported one as a fallback?

I realize this seems a bit weird for people in USA where you have a lot more availability to supported ECUs. Where i am in Australia we are a bit limited and when you do find them they are very expensive.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

It's not weird at all, just not a platform we support at this time.

As I stated, that won't work.

No
No
leick10

Post by leick10 »

I'm in a similar situation. I have a 2006 CRV EX MT that I'm putting a K20a2 RSX-S cylinder head on the K24a1 block. I wrongly assumed this would be an easy swap since the only modification is a cylinder head that literally bolts right onto the block and can be dropped into just about any car. However, the Kswap PRB ECU and RSX-S harness don't support the CAN High/Low (E11/E24) or the stock DBW. The 2007 Accord ECU is drive by wire with a similar pinout but doesn't have pins for SEFMJ (E13) and MIL (E31). The 07-08 Element ECU is also DBW but doesn't support NEP (E25) or VSSOUT (E26) for the dash. None of the three have pins for VSS (A17) or come close to matching the Connector D pinout for cruise control. I'm fine living without cruise control and many of the other luxuries but I wish there was a confirmed solution to support this vehicle. Even if it meant using the PRB ECU and running a wire to the CAM. I know Kpro documented a solution like this for the TL and even sold a CAM harness.

I opened up my CRV PPA-A24 ECU and it looks identical to the PRB/PND. If installing the KTuner End-User R1 board isn't a physical limitation is it only the CRV base map that is stopping all the 2nd Gen CRV users waiting since January 2018 when Ktuner first responded in this forum that CRV support was 'in the queue'? There is a stronger following than ever for the CRV's MT AWD SUV chassis since Honda decided to stop making that combination 15 years ago. Just look at all the people making a living by creating YouTube content for the first gen RD1.

Sorry to vent my frustration but I have spent dozens of hours researching a solution only to find dead end after dead end with both Kpro and Ktuner promising the support is coming then unsympathetically responding to inquires that the platform is not supported. I've purchased PRB, PND, PPA-A06, PPA-24 and PZD ECU's as well as 04 RSX-S, 04 CRV MT and 06 CRV MT harnesses and service manuals for just about every Honda/Accura model to find a combination that works. I'm willing to buy, try and test anything if Ktuner is willing to work with me in finding a solution for the community that has been waiting nearly five years for a response. Thanks for your time.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The only solution that will work 100% will be adding support for that specific ECU software directly. That will require time we don't currently have and even when added will be met with people wanting more, because basic tuning support won't support forced induction and custom features without custom code being written. Hopefully some day we can go back and tackle more older platforms, but currently we're working on an endless list of more recent ECUs.
leick10

Post by leick10 »

Thanks for your quick reply. Below is a table I created comparing the 05-06 CRV pinout with the 05-06 RSX and 04-06 TSX. The TSX ECU is almost a perfect match with the exception of the multiplex control (E13 - SEFMJ) and the malifunction indicator light (E31 - MIL). I also compared the 06-07 Accord i4 ECU and it is identical to the 04-06 TSX except for the obvious reverse lockout and the Accord didn't come with VSA. I understand the 04-06 TSX will not support cruise control or VSA and the 06-07 Accord i4 KtunerECU won't support VSA.

Do you see any issue other than losing cruise, VSA, multiplex and MIL? I can live without these features or figure out how to piggyback the stock 05-06 CRV / RSX ECU for these pins. I am willing to buy the TSX and Accord i4 units to try it out so that Ktuner can finally offer a solution to the rest of the CRV community.

KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The pinouts are identical for that entire series of ECU boards. Throttle control, not sure. Even if you manage to get one of these other ECUs working, which others have done on various other vehicles, we can't recommend it to the public. It's not the appropriate ECU and doesn't maintain factory controls for MIL etc as you've seen. Without the multiplexer you also lose AC so keep that in mind.

The 04-06 TSX Kit is the same as the 06-07 Accord DBW kit.
cgw720

Post by cgw720 »

Hey man i’ve been trying to do the same thing you’re doing, and i’m reading your pin out sheet, amazing work btw! Why wouldn’t the MICU work with the RSX ecu? Most of the pins match except VSS, but why would you loose the MICU?
Last edited by cgw720 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgw720

Post by cgw720 »

Actually the RSX ecu looks like a perfect match, why wouldn’t it work in a MT CRV? Also if the internals of the RSX ecu are essentially the same (and it has almost the same pin out, why isn’t there a way you could just get a Ktuner for the RSX ecu and install it into the PPA ecu? You said you have a bunch of different ECUs so what’s different about the internals of each ECU, and how they work? I’m new to this ECU crap, but have an understanding of circuit boards and electrical wiring and I’m looking to do this to my 2006 CRV M/T that someone k20 swapped and then sold to me with a MIL ;)

Return to “CR-V Platform”