Base Throttle Setting, and Injector Settings

husseinholland

Base Throttle Setting, and Injector Settings

Post by husseinholland »

Up and running. Problems are the idle will not drop to normal (800-900 rpm?) It stays up around 2K(!). What I don't know is whether the Honda EMS is expecting the base throttle setting to be fully closed, or if it should be cracked open 1/4 turn or so. I'm used to Volvo/Bosch systems that start with a base setting of 1/4 turn off the stop.

The second issue is that I installed RDX 410cc injectors (Denso, not aftermarket), and changed the new value to 410cc in Injector Sizing, then choose RDX 410cc in the drop down menu for deadtimes. Now, the AFR's are pretty much pegging 10(!) I haven't run it too long as I don't want to wash the bores. Video link at bottom of post

Can you advise on base throttle setting, and what may be going on with the injector settings?

https://youtu.be/oa7HWYaPYfA
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Base Throttle Setting, and Injector Settings

Post by KTuner »

Idle should be around .5v at the sensor.

If you've setup the injectors properly, tune it.
husseinholland

Post by husseinholland »

KTuner wrote:Idle should be around .5v at the sensor.

If you've setup the injectors properly, tune it.
Where would I be measuring that, in the logging feature?

I appreciate that tuning is required to refine changes, however the base AFR should be correct without having to alter the fuel map, no?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

You can see if TPS is zero right in datalogging.

You've changed parts. There is ECT enrichment when cold as well.
husseinholland

Post by husseinholland »

KTuner wrote:You can see if TPS is zero right in datalogging.

You've changed parts. There is ECT enrichment when cold as well.
Thanks for replying.

What I'm missing is how the injector settings alter the map then - I was assuming that changing the injector sizing and then setting the deadtimes accordingly made global changes to the mapping to compensate for the increased flow capacity. Shouldn't that at least bring the AFR into the normal range when not under high load? I'm confused. I need to manually alter the ECTsettings also? Not finding anything in the online help that references any of this.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Injector sizing does exactly what you'd think. It's a multiplier that alters fueling output by the amount of Old divided by New.

ECT enrichment clearly shows fuel is added during warm up. Find it in parameters on the left.

We cannot aid you in the tuning process. You need to tune it for your setup.
husseinholland

Post by husseinholland »

KTuner wrote:Injector sizing does exactly what you'd think. It's a multiplier that alters fueling output by the amount of Old divided by New.

ECT enrichment clearly shows fuel is added during warm up. Find it in parameters on the left.

We cannot aid you in the tuning process. You need to tune it for your setup.
Thank you for replying.

That I understand, regarding the injector setting. How would I know whether the main trim is supposed to be offset for different injectors, though? I saw the ECT chart, however I wouldn't want to change it if the settings are there for normal operating conditions.

I'm not asking you to help me with fine tuning for my setup - I just want to clarify that with essentially stock hardware parameters I should see consistent results in terms of basic operation of the software as it pertains to controlling the EMS hardware. I can deal with fine tuning with Xenocron once it's running a decent baseline. Can't do that if it's not driveable with basic settings :D
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

You have a main trim to use for correction if you're running rich. Pay attention to fuel trims once you're in closed loop as well.
husseinholland

Post by husseinholland »

KTuner wrote:You have a main trim to use for correction if you're running rich. Pay attention to fuel trims once you're in closed loop as well.
Thank you for all the input.

Given that the injector settings should not be the cause of the rich condition I started looking elsewhere. I also finally figured how to see the main logging window - for some reason it wasn't coming up by default, so I really didn't understand what you meant about viewing the throttle opening by % :D

This is what I saw with throttle 'closed':

So, it was clear something was seriously amiss with the TPS/TB arrangement, since at that point I had backed off the throttle stop.

I removed the TB, and found that the mounting plate that K-Tuned uses for their TPS, does not align with the adjustment range of the TPS. I had to redrill the mount & reposition it to allow for the adjustment window to fall into the 0% range.

With that done I was able to get the % down - it's 2% here, but 0% is available once I finish adjustment.

I also found I had a P2185 code for the ECT - which, if Honda is anything like Volvos, will absolutley make it run pig-rich. I'll need to investigate the circuit to make sure I don't have a wiring issue - since the window shows a temp value though, I'm thinking perhaps it just a bad sensor? I'll check the wiring first.

EDIT: Seems that that code is for the rad fan switch/sensor, not the ECT in the head, so not sure it makes any difference to the EMS?

There was also a MAF P0102 code. Don't know Honda, so not sure what is typical here. The MAF is not a Honda part, so perhaps it's just questionable quality. Have to research that also.

Anyway, thank you again for replying & helping me move forward.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Resourceful! I like it.

For P2185 if you don't have the secondary ECT setup there is a disable for it. If you do, definitely check wiring.

P0102, you can disable MAF on these and run speed density via the fuel maps. This may be your issue with fueling if the MAF is not operating correctly.

Return to “03-05 Accord / Euro CL7 Specific”