Flashing Issues

Otyokwa

Flashing Issues

Post by Otyokwa »

Hello. I recently had a 2018 Honda Civic SI that I flashed using KTuner. Once flashed, I began having electrical issues with the car. If I ran the vehicle on auxiliary for a short amount of time, such as washing the car, it would kill the battery. On two separate occasions, while driving, the car started showing alerts, similar to when I was uploading a tune. I restarted the car, and it was fine, and I later reflashed the tune. I recently traded in the car for a 2020 SI and reflashed the tune to the original stock. When I did, it had difficulty starting.
Now that I have my 2020 SI, I would like to tune again. However, I wonder if the above issues were the result of tuning that somehow messed up the ECU. If so, was it caused by something I did with the tuning process? I followed all directions, and the tune typically worked great! Before tuning my new civic, I would like to make sure I did not cause the above issues and have them happen again.
Another question, I often hear of a break-in period for an engine but is there one for the ECU? I am not talking about breaking it in literally but diagnostically. Is there a number of hours to run the ECU that would tell you that, hey, everything is working correctly, and it should now be ok to tune? I am just thinking about the warranty and making sure everything is in working order before tuning.
Thank you for all your help; I appreciate it.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Flashing Issues

Post by KTuner »

Our tuning would have nothing to do with whatever issue you had there.

There's no break-in period for an ECU.
Otyokwa

Post by Otyokwa »

I realize there isn't an actual break-in period. However, is there an amount of time you wait prior to tuning to ensure everything electrical is in working order?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

ECUs are ready to flash before they're in the vehicle. If you want to wait until you *feel* comfortable with the electrical system performance, that's up to you.
Otyokwa

Post by Otyokwa »

Gotcha thanks
I realize what happened had nothing to do with your tunes but could I have done anything wrong when tuning that could have messed up the ECU?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Not at all. That's an odd one for sure!

Return to “16-21 Civic 1.5T”