Speedometer stopped working - no signal

AAGibson

Speedometer stopped working - no signal

Post by AAGibson »

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I was getting into my car to take it out to do record the logs to tune the car and as soon as I connected my laptop, the car shut off. This is the first time it happened. I restarted the car and the laptop connected to the ECU, but as I was driving I noticed that the speedometer in the cluster was not working, but the display on the laptop showed the speed. The speedometer worked fine for months now while I was resolving some other issues.

Today I started to troubleshoot and eliminated the VSS and the instrument cluster. I don't think it is the VSS because I see the speed on laptop and my code reader. I don't think it is the cluster because the cluster works fine in another car. I then tested the VSS output wire for a signal with ignition on (battery voltage) and while driving (pulse) but there was absolutely no signal. What can cause the ECU not to output a VSS signal from the E26 ECU pinout? Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Speedometer stopped working - no signal

Post by KTuner »

The ECU controls the output. You have the option to alter or retask the signal within the tune settings. No other control of it beyond that.
AAGibson

Post by AAGibson »

Thank you for the response. Do you have any idea what may be causing the ecu not to output a signal on the E26 pinout?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No suggestions beyond the two settings mentioned.
AAGibson

Post by AAGibson »

Hello, so in your earlier response, you stated, "You have the option to alter or retask the signal within the tune settings." Can you point me to how this is done, or the menu where this can be done? I'm still troubleshooting this issue. Thanks in advance.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Open a PRB tune and see the output tasks parameters.
AAGibson

Post by AAGibson »

Hello everyone,

I'm still trying to solve this issue. The car is an Integra k24a swap with 2013 civic si 6 speed manual tranny with lsd.

Here is what I have done since the last post:
1. swapped out the cluster to a known working cluster,
2. swapped out the conversion harness,
3. reverted to the base prb tune output parameters (suggested by Ktuner),
4. checked continuity throughout the harness from ecu to cluster,
5. Tested the signal at the cluster plug vss wire for voltage under all conditions and I have about 5 volts when the ignition is on II and a fluctuating voltage when the car is being driven,
6. Changed the vss to a brand new honda (I wanted to eliminate any unknown);
7. Laptop shows speed in the ktuner software when the car is driven forward or in reverse.

Still no movement on the speedometer. Could this be a situation when I must use one of those signal correction modules? I have one from ktuned, but I was told that it is unnecessary to use them in with ktuner because the software reads input signal and outputs the proper signal to the cluster. Is that correct? Any ideas why I have signal at the cluster (on a confirmed working cluster) but no movement on the speedometer?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

2013 Transmission should be the newer signal type and not need the 02-04 box checked. If that's the case and you see speed in the software the ECU will indeed be outputting speed on the output pin.

A converter will work, too.
AAGibson

Post by AAGibson »

Is the 1999 integra cluster speedometer able to read the newer signal without the aid of a converter? I prefer not to add another device into the mix if there is indeed another issue causing the problem; I will simply be just back where I started. I prefer to troubleshoot the signal direct to the cluster. Any idea why the vss wire at the cluster connector (directly blogged into the speedometer) shows signal but yet the speedometer shows no movement?

Another issue I have noticed is that, while i have no engine codes, the vtec does not engage. From what I understand, the speed is one of the variables the ecu looks for to engage vtec. I don't know if the speedometer issue has anything to do with it because, as noted, the ecu shows the speed in the ktuner software.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

That's beyond the scope of what I can help with.

The settings which need to be met to activate VTEC are in the VTEC parameters section. If everything is operational, setup properly, and enabled properly you'd either get VTEC or get a code.

Return to “05-06 RSX Specific”