2011 MDX VTEC ENGAGEMENT

Modded11MDX

2011 MDX VTEC ENGAGEMENT

Post by Modded11MDX »

I have used the search function on the forum and read every post about VTec engagement but I still do not understand the settings. I do remember seeing a reply to another person which said the numbers have to be different or there would be no window for engagement.

My checkbox is red so does that mean it is not adjustable even though I can change the numbers in the box? In the Vtec settings Lower Engage is set to 4800, Lower Disengage 4600, Upper engage 4800, Upper disengage 4600, Min Temp 122, Engage speed 6, Disengage speed 3. Does this mean Vtec will only kick in 3rd to 6th gear and above 4800rpm? Lets say I want Vtec to kick in from 1st gear to 6th at 4000rpm under WOT or near WOT, what numbers would I input?

Another part I don't understand is the Vtec Engagement Window setting, mine says 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 rpm and Mbar is 4311 under all the rpms. I have no idea what my Mbar is because I cannot find it in the datalogs. What should I set this to if I want Vtec to kick in guaranteed in 1st to 6th gear under WOT or close to WOT?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I am very interested in seeing the full potential of what KTuner can do for my MDX.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: 2011 MDX VTEC ENGAGEMENT

Post by KTuner »

This example is actually outlined right in the help
http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/vtec_e ... window.htm
Modded11MDX

Post by Modded11MDX »

KTuner wrote:This example is actually outlined right in the help
Yes I read that before but do not understand what Mbar is and I do not know what mine is because datalogs don't show it. If I understand correctly, it says the value 4311Mbar is a high number meaning it will stay on lower engagement all of the time. Does this mean it will never turn on Vtec? I don't even understand what lower and upper engagement means and even google doesn't have any info on the term when it has to do with engines. If I had to guess, upper engagement sounds like the lobes with the bigger cam lift which is what I want. Is this correct? Do I have to adjust both the Vtect engagement window and the Vtec upper lower engage disengage and speed section?

You still didn't tell me what values to enter to make Vtec engage at 4000 rpm under WOT or near WOT conditions from 1st thru 6th gear. What may seem super simple and easy to understand to you is like another language for me when it comes to Ecu programming.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

It means exactly what it says there. It will use the lower engagement, which means it won't use the upper engagement.

MAP in your datalist is in mBar. Converted MAP is in whatever units you have chosen for vacuum and pressure, which of course mBar is an option.
Modded11MDX

Post by Modded11MDX »

KTuner wrote:It means exactly what it says there. It will use the lower engagement, which means it won't use the upper engagement.

MAP in your datalist is in mBar. Converted MAP is in whatever units you have chosen for vacuum and pressure, which of course mBar is an option.
So are you saying that your 1 and only available Performance tune for my MDX is set to never activate Vtec's bigger cam profile because from what you said and what I see, the mbar setting of 4311 is so high that the Vtec will never engage. Why would a performance tune not enable the bigger cam lobe Vtec to engage?

My Mbar at WOT at 4000 rpm is 990. I think you need to explain to me exactly what upper engagement and lower engagement means. I googled the term and found nothing to do with automotive definitions.
Last edited by Modded11MDX on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

KTuner wrote:It will use the lower engagement, which means it won't use the upper engagement.
You're unfortunately overlooking what I'm saying.
Modded11MDX

Post by Modded11MDX »

KTuner wrote:
KTuner wrote:It will use the lower engagement, which means it won't use the upper engagement.
You're unfortunately overlooking what I'm saying.
Well, if you look at all the questions I asked, you will see that I never got straight answers to 90% of my questions. Each response only confused me more.

I'm about to give up asking questions on this forum because it seems things are just over my head. I am not lazy, I research KTuner related things every night from when I put my preschool daughter to bed until 2 am every night for weeks. I have read this entire forum, read the help files many many times, watched many vids on KTuner but it seems to me the KTuner is meant for people who have prior tuning experience. I give up trying to learn how to utilize this because there is just not enough help and information available for someone with who doesn't have tuning experience. I will put my KTuner in the MDXers forum classifieds because with the 1 and only tune available, I can honestly say that I feel zero difference in performance and my MDX meets and exceeds the requirements for the 1and only current tune you have available.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

If "It will use the lower engagement" isn't a straight answer, I am unsure what would be. It doesn't get any straighter or simpler than that.

That negates the rest of the questions regarding not having VTEC activate, saying our tune doesn't use VTEC etc, because as stated it uses the lower engagement. That means it does activate VTEC, using the lower engagement settings. The rabbit hole you went down is one that doesn't follow the logic explained in the help.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble understanding how this works, but I referenced you to the help section that does explain those settings. Also in that area of the help is an explanation of the other VTEC settings you asked about. Most of the other parameters as well. Each has their own page and description.

It really is as simple as it sounds. You're complicating something that doesn't need to be and I'm sorry my simple answers aren't enough to bring you back.
Modded11MDX

Post by Modded11MDX »

Ok, I have been reading gonzo 2023's post about engaging and disengaging vtec. He stated that he wanted his vtect to start at 4500 rpm and have it disengage or turn off at 5100 rpm. He asked and I quote "so put lower engage 4500 and lower disengage 4300 and upper engage 5100 and upper disengage 4900? You replied and I quote "That would work out, if that's the appropriate VTEC points for your engine setup."

So, my question is this, when I open the performance tune in Ktuner which is made for PCD, Jpipe etc, under the main parameters Vtec setting, mine says "Lower Engage 4800 rpm, Lower Disengage 4600 rpm, Upper Engage 4800 rpm, Upper Disengage 4600 rpm. If what you told him is true that his vtec would start at 4500 rpm and end at 5100 rpm using the numbers that he stated and you confirmed, wouldn't that mean mine engages at 4800 rpm and turns off at 4800 rpm meaning it never turns on? The more I try to read and learn, the more confused I get.

Can you please just tell me using rpm numbers what to set it on if I want my vtec to start at 3000 rpm and stay on all the way to 6800 rpm which is what the rev limiter is set on.
I will type out the words so you can just enter the numbers:

Lower Engage__________, Lower Disengage ___________, Upper Engage___________, Upper Disengage__________
Linszter

Post by Linszter »

Modded11MDX wrote:Ok, I have been reading gonzo 2023's post about engaging and disengaging vtec. He stated that he wanted his vtect to start at 4500 rpm and have it disengage or turn off at 5100 rpm. He asked and I quote "so put lower engage 4500 and lower disengage 4300 and upper engage 5100 and upper disengage 4900? You replied and I quote "That would work out, if that's the appropriate VTEC points for your engine setup."

So, my question is this, when I open the performance tune in Ktuner which is made for PCD, Jpipe etc, under the main parameters Vtec setting, mine says "Lower Engage 4800 rpm, Lower Disengage 4600 rpm, Upper Engage 4800 rpm, Upper Disengage 4600 rpm. If what you told him is true that his vtec would start at 4500 rpm and end at 5100 rpm using the numbers that he stated and you confirmed, wouldn't that mean mine engages at 4800 rpm and turns off at 4800 rpm meaning it never turns on? The more I try to read and learn, the more confused I get.

Can you please just tell me using rpm numbers what to set it on if I want my vtec to start at 3000 rpm and stay on all the way to 6800 rpm which is what the rev limiter is set on.
I will type out the words so you can just enter the numbers:

Lower Engage__________, Lower Disengage ___________, Upper Engage___________, Upper Disengage__________
Lower and Upper engagement is based on manifold pressure. If both set to 4800 it will always engage at that point. If those are different there are the Vtec window settings which tells when to use lower or upper engagement point.

Return to “07-13 MDX”