Tune 1 vs Tune 2

nox

Tune 1 vs Tune 2

Post by nox »

Hey Guys, I'm new to this but considering buying a ktuner for my 2016 Accord V6 coupe Touring 6MT

I've got the K&N intake on, and I've got the magnaflow 19181 catback on the way...

With these two mods, would I tune to tune 1 or tune 2? I understand that tune 2 covers up to PCD and exhaust as well as intake, but is it still the right choice when using an exhaust with the same 2.25 diameter as the stock exhaust? Do I also need to have the PCDs installed for that to work? Or is the second tune specifically for cars with modified precats and a wider exhaust diameter?

New to modding in general, any help would be greatly appreciated as there is little to no information online.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Tune 1 vs Tune 2

Post by KTuner »

Choose the one that more closely fits your setup. If you don't have PCDs, the PCD tune likely isn't for you.
WhiteOrchid

Post by WhiteOrchid »

Well now, I'm a little confused by that response.

First issue, the discussion started with Tune 1 vs. Tune 2. On my unit, I don't have a Tune 2, I have:

Factory base
Tune 1

I'm assuming for purposes of this discussion thus far:

"Tune 1" = factory base in the software
"Tune 2" = Tune 1 in the software

Additionally, the higher tune ("Tune 2" or what the software titles Tune 1) says "91+ octane suggested, tune supporting UP TO intake, PCD, and exhaust....."

In my world UP TO means just that, up to but not required. So which is it?

Personally, I don't have PCD but I run the 91 octane tune and it does just great. Since my only other choice is the factory tune I don't see what would be the point of a KTuner if you couldn't seriously upgrade the tuning with a canned tune without doing fairly extensive and expensive physical mods first. My car only has an intake and a catback, seems to work just great with the 91 octane tune.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Factory is not Tune 1. Factory is Factory. Tune 1 is Tune 1. One is factory, one is a tune. In that list you don't have a Tune 2.

If you don't have a Tune 2 then I'm not sure what the original question was about and the advice about tune 1 vs tune 2 would no longer apply.

As you've indicated you have a single tune available and it says up to, clearly suggesting it's ok to use up to those modifications. Sounds like you've got it worked out.
WhiteOrchid

Post by WhiteOrchid »

I'm not the OP. I'm just saying my V2 does not have "Tune 2". I think the terms are getting mixed. For clarity, YOUR software says you have three choices, factory tune, Tune 1 (91 octane tune) or speed density. No "Tune 2" listed anywhere. This applies to what the OP original posted, nothing more.

Bottom line: the 91 Octane tune says UP TO meaning, to me at least, that it can be used on any car from bone stock all the way up to a car with PCD, exhaust, intake. That is not what the first response from KTuner stated, it implied that in order to use the 91 octane tune you must have PCDs (and presumably the other mods as well including exhaust, intake). Again, my point is that the KTuner response to the OP seems in conflict with what the KTuner actually states.

To quote that post:
KTuner wrote:If you don't have PCDs, the PCD tune likely isn't for you.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Ok, so I'm now unsure why you're following up on someone else's post.

So again, Tune 1 is your only tune available based on what you've said. There is no Tune 2 for you, according to your post, so I'm unclear on what you're stuck on here.

Speed density starting point is for forced induction.

Follow what I said in the previous post.

Return to “13-17 Accord V6 Specific”