Engine Running Rich

MeeSeek

Engine Running Rich

Post by MeeSeek »

Hi,

I have a custom isolated short ram air intake, PCD, and RV6 J-pipe installed. Since the custom air intake work, Bank 1 and bank 2 has been running rich. The Short Term Fuel Trims leads Long Trim Fuel Ratio to about -25. I can always smell unburnt gasoline from the exhaust pipe. My assumption is that the MAF Sensor is detecting increased O2 in the air coming in through the Air Intake, and dumping more fuel into the system as a result; however, not all of it is being burned. I have new spark plugs and ignition coils.

At this time, I am debating which table to update. Where would I start tuning the car to run leaner?- The MAF Scale, WOT Enrichment Table, or the Ignition Map?

I have 3rd and 4th gear pull datalogs.

Attached below

Any ideas?

Thanks!
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Engine Running Rich

Post by KTuner »

When you change the MAF housing size the MAF scaling must also change in order for air to be correctly metered. We don't offer tuning advice, but if you did not know this going in you're going to have a hell of a time.

The fact that you're getting system too rich codes means you used a smaller housing than factory or the flow dynamics are completely off. Basically you've created yourself a restriction.

You should reach out to a professional immediately or go back to factory intake or one that's properly designed for the application.
MeeSeek

Post by MeeSeek »

The factory MAF housing was 3.5" wide. My custom design kept the housing diameter the same. If anything, my design got rid of alot of turbulence from the factory setup.

I'm trying to understand the values in the Ignition Map: looks like the map measures RPM vs MAP pressure in terms of load. What do the values in the cells mean? It ranges from 3-36.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

If it was the same size or larger you'd be running lean, not rich. Regardless, see the recommendations in this post and your other one.

We linked you to a description of how Ignition is derived on this platform in your other thread. I believe that topic will help shed some light on your question. I'd also recommend speaking to a professional tuner or taking a tuning class. I would highly recommend you don't make adjustments yourself without some knowledge of tuning.
MeeSeek

Post by MeeSeek »

After much research, adjustments and drive-cycles, I had made adjustments to the MAF scale since the engine was receiving alot of cooled air. I took the STFT and adjusted the fuel mixture ratios from there. The car is fuel trims improved drastically.

The second map to tune would be the Ignition timing map; however, I am going to continue to monitor the numbers from there.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Glad to hear you're making progress. Mass airflow can properly meter cool or warm air, so if you had to alter your MAF scale it's literally because of the design of the intake.

Return to “08-12 Accord V6 Specific”