OnBoard Logging Fields

peterzekert

OnBoard Logging Fields

Post by peterzekert »

Are the onboard logging fields fixed or are they changeable? For example, we see Cat temp in the OBD stream, but not available onboard on the V2 Flash. There are a number of fields available on one place or another, (on the V2 Flash versus on the dyno/OBD stream) but not both. I would like Cat temp on my V2 Flash and would really like having it on the data log.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: OnBoard Logging Fields

Post by KTuner »

We only display real data. There is no cat temp sensor.
peterzekert

Post by peterzekert »

Thank you. Follow up question: Is there a way to add any available OBD pids (parameter ids)?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Our units don't use standard OBD PID requests, so there's no way to integrate those in. There are plenty of cheap OBD monitoring tools that will give you access to any standardized OBD PID offered by the ECU, including the fake calculated cat temp value.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

This interests me as well. Too bad, it would be hugely useful to log certain OBD data on the V2 while on track, and we haven’t had any success connecting both at once with a Y cable (which would be less useful anyway requiring sync with the V2 data). As for the “fake calculated” cat temp I don’t understand the objection, it is used by the ECU for critical component protection logic and is therefore as valid as any other data, regardless how it is derived. And frankly it’s only one calculation removed from the fake calculated AFR data. :)
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Of course you can't have two devices communicating with the ECU at the same time. They would have data collisions.

What's your level of experience with tuning in general? And Honda/Acura?
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Well, I’ve had my own dyno for over a dozen years but I certainly don’t consider myself an expert in all aspects of tuning. I personally do very little tuning of OEM ECUs, a bit with Hondata but this is my first work with KTuner. Other Honda/Acura vehicles typically on standalone going back to my 1st gen NSX on the original AEM PnP about 20 years ago. But mostly I deal with race cars and some vintage stuff. I’m not sure how relevant that is but there it is.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

You'll be pleasantly surprised to find these have a wideband sensor for AFR. Quite better than the older platforms with narrowband only.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

I’m not at all surprised, indeed well aware and of course I log it on the dyno as we tune. My little crack was that it’s not really measuring AFR, that’s just a calculation backed into based on the remnants of combustion for a given type of fuel. Some might describe that as a fake calculated value. As I understand it, the cat temp is often calculated in part from the impedance of the downstream wideband heater element.

Return to “09-10 Fit”