Gas level gauge is off.

jibberjabbs

Gas level gauge is off.

Post by jibberjabbs »

I have noticed the gas level gauge is acting unusual and very unlinear since flashing (I am using RDX injectors). I get about 200 miles on the first half, then 40 on the second half? A few others on the Fitfreak forum w/Ktuners have noticed this too. Is there any work-around to this? Is there a way to correct the MPG read out on the dash either? It is way off too. Thanks
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Gas level gauge is off.

Post by KTuner »

The fuel gauge is not connected to the ECU in any way, so to say you and others are having trouble with this because of KTuner would not be accurate.

I imagine with different injectors the MPG reading would be effected. This can't be corrected at this time.
jibberjabbs

Post by jibberjabbs »

OK that is fair. The Ktuner did not cause the issue directly. My question should have been: Is the Ktuner capable of correcting this unfortunate side effect? Is this an issue that everyone changing injector sizes sees?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No, it does not get the fuel level from the ECU. The fuel level gauge has nothing to do with KTuner and can't be corrected by KTuner. It is connected to the fuel level sender in the tank.
SlimChriz

Post by SlimChriz »

Hey JibberJabs,

Just a thought I had on this fuel gauge issue and some experiences I had at the track.

When my fuel level gets bellow a certain level at the track I notice issues and have had the engine die or misfire due to fuel sloshing around despite the gauge reading 1/4 - 3/8th full. When pulling into padack the reading settles lower than what it showed on the track.

I presume the issue is the design of the tank and lack of baffles causing fuel sloshing which also gives a false reading due to the speed of the gauge reading so slow.
So when I'm thrashing it on the track the sloshing is constantly pushing the level gauge up as fuel moves towards it.
I learned to keep the fit 1/2 full at least on the track to avoid momentary lean conditions under boost.

Perhaps its just that your driving style changed after installing your mods and you have this issue as well?

Just a thought.
Boostedtaco

Post by Boostedtaco »

Hey Slim,

I have the same issue JibberJabs has, and I don't believe its due to the driving style. My commute is for the most part is flat highway routes. I believe the issue is with the fuel injector scaling and how the fuel gauge functions with it. The 'instant' fuel gauge on the cluster reads like 30+ mpg higher than actual and I guess it uses it move the needle. At some point the fuel gauge resets itself/calibrates with actual fuel in the tank. I've been using a Ultra Gauge that displays Fuel % which is way more accurate than the needle. And the low fuel light is driven by the fuel % it seems. Around 10-15% left, it would trigger the low fuel light.

It's not too much of an issue since I have the ultra gauge. But i would bet it would be annoying to people who don't have a way to read fuel levels.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

We have been working directly with several boosted Fits (Rotrex kits and turbo) who have not reported any issues with fuel level being off after injector sizing. I specifically asked them to check this.

Instant MPG calculation will be off. This may be addressed in the future.
07fit916

Post by 07fit916 »

Having the same issue. Subscribing for a solution in the future hopefully. Also getting crap mpg but that's probably the sc lol
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Definitely SC. Will double check the factory wiring diagram.

Return to “09-10 Fit”