91 Octane Usable but Should I?

Ask your general questions about KTuner
rjbeck8

91 Octane Usable but Should I?

Post by rjbeck8 »

I see for a 2020 Accord 2.0T I’m safe to use 91 octane, but does that mean I should? I’m in CA for 2 more months and have a ktuner. I could wait until I move to TX and get access to 93, but I’d like to use the tuner in the meantime. Is 91 truly safe? CA gas is bad but I’d be using Shell or Chevron only. No E85 around me for hours.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: 91 Octane Usable but Should I?

Post by KTuner »

Listed right on the application page for the vehicle on our website in the section describing the tunes we include, so I'm really not getting the basis for the question:
Running 91+ will give the best results.

Our 91 gas here that we conduct most of our testing on is just as bad as California.

Here's what it doesn't say:
Requires 93
Requires E85

I'm not sure if I can clarify any further, but I hope that helps.
rjbeck8

Post by rjbeck8 »

I’m asking if I run the possibility of the k.con numbers going to dangerous ranges on 91. 93 and E85 alleviate that problem, hence why I mentioned them. Your testing showed safe ranges on 91 I’m assuming?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Knock control will always move based on fuel quality and environmental factors. I'm not sure what a dangerous range is, as that's not a term we use.
rjbeck8

Post by rjbeck8 »

Wanted to update: k.con around .59-.68, so I’m happy with that. However, during the flash process (flashed from TunerView and had Stage 2.0 saved in memory slot) it got to 99%, said waiting for key off and on. I turned the car off (was in accessory mode) and then fired it up. TunerView never went to a different screen, but car is on, running well, and feels like it was tuned. Success, or did something go wrong?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The vehicle can't start without a successful flash. Thanks for the report.

Return to “General Questions”