04 K24a2 (TSX) into '01 Insight

Civic/Integra/etc with a K swap
MakitaDiesel

04 K24a2 (TSX) into '01 Insight

Post by MakitaDiesel »

Trying to sort my path for wiring/ECU, I know I have two options ('04 K24a2/'06 Accord 5 speed trans + '01 Insight):

Drive by wire: Stock engine, stock TSX manual engine harness, stock TSX ECU with KTuner (not sure which product), conversion harness to mate dash harness, additional wiring/pedal to add DBW relay and module.

Cable throttle body: Stock engine, 03-05 Accord TB, RSX Type S harness, KTuner compatible ECU + KTuner (not sure which product), conversion harness to mate dash harness.

Do both of those look accurate to you? The goal is to load a basemap then have the ECU tele tuned using logged WOT pulls and reflashes until the tables are solid and no CELs in closed loop. No turbo, no real time logging, just save and load. My question is what would you suggest as the best combo (cost-effective) to achieve that outcome? I'd need a functioning OBDII port as well, which I assume would be on the conversion harness.

Thanks, Mak
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: 04 K24a2 (TSX) into '01 Insight

Post by KTuner »

As outlined on the 04-06 TSX page, the stock TSX ECU can't be used for this. You'd need a KTuner prepped ECU and KTunerECU unit in either case.

Drive by cable might be easier overall.

You should not pass emissions with an aftermarket ECU solution.
MakitaDiesel

Post by MakitaDiesel »

Ah, I see now. Say I went cable throttle for wiring simplicity's sake. So I'd need a base 05-06 RSX engine harness + charge harness, 05-06 RSX ECU sent in to be prepped by KTuner, 03-05 Accord throttle body + cable and pedal? Which software would I need to have installed when I sent in the ECU? This car will be tuned either in person or e-tuned, bolt-ons but nothing crazy.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

05-06 RSX or Element harness, ECU from either of those, and a cable throttle setup from 03-05 Accord, 05-06 RSX, 05-06 Element. Should work out.

You can use the KTuner software to work with the PRB codebase for custom tuning and setup. There are TSX basemaps for PRB codebase as well.
MakitaDiesel

Post by MakitaDiesel »

First off, thank you for the quick and informative replies. After years of any and everyone with an opinion answering forum posts, it's refreshing to receive accurate information from a knowledgeable source.

To summarize, I need the following for an '04 TSX K24a2 with a cable throttle going into an '01 Honda Insight with '06 Accord manual 5-speed trans:

Engine harness: '05-06 RSX (Base only, since I don't need reverse lockout) or '05-06 Element
1. Does it matter if it's a manual or auto harness?
2. Does it matter if the Element is FWD or AWD?

ECU to be sent to you: '05-06 RSX (Base or Type S), '05-06 Element (leaning this way, cheaper by far)
3. Do those matter if they are manual or auto as well?
4. Does it matter if the Element is FWD or AWD?
5. Ktuner can disable the immobilizer but I want that extra bit of security if possible. Would it benefit me to purchase the ECU with a matching key and immobilizer so that I wouldn't have to pay the dealership to synch them (or disable it altogether through Ktuner)?

Cable Throttle setup from the models you listed previously: cable, bracket(s), TB itself, pedal

Some kind of conversion harness between the '05-06 engine harness and the stock Insight cabin harness: Rywire, CJs, or ...?

O2 Primary sensor: 03+ Element, '05-06 RSX, 05+ CRV
6. Does Base or Type S matter for the RSX?

My local junkyards have slim pickings so before I made the trip I wanted a definitive shopping list with exact years/trims so there is no confusion on compatibility. Once it's all in I'll basemap it before getting a live or e-tune. If I left anything out feel free to correct me.

Thanks again,
Mak
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No problem.

Does not matter if AT or MT as long as you match pinouts in the end.

FWD or AWD doesn't matter. Element AT ECUs have all outputs.

ECU goes to our main distributor.
05-06 Base RSX does not have reverse lockout output.

You can have any independent shop with the right stuff program the immobilizer.

Base or S doesn't matter for O2.
MakitaDiesel

Post by MakitaDiesel »

MT harnesses look like less of a headache, I'll search for those first. Element is arguably less expensive although more rare.

Element AT ECU it is. I'll compare the serial number to those approved on the site.

I won't need lockout with my 5-speed so that's cool with me.

OK. Hope it can be synched to an '01 Insight key.

Word.

Thanks,
Mak
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Hopefully the insight has a compatible immobi setup. Let me know!
tekcajwolley

Post by tekcajwolley »

Thanks to KTuner and Makita diesel for the post.
I am considering the same swap: tsx K24 and accord 5sp into 02 insight.
It helped me answer questions I was having.
Good luck on the swap.
Bob
Last edited by tekcajwolley on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tekcajwolley

Post by tekcajwolley »

KTuner:
In the above example posted by Makitadiesel, suppose the DBW throttle was desired, what components could one use?
Thanks

Return to “K Swapped Vehicles”