PLX wideband as main O2 Sensor

RABOOST

PLX wideband as main O2 Sensor

Post by RABOOST »

I want to be able to use a PLX Wideband O2 sensor as my main on only source of 02 signal that will handle all my closed loop operations, can I disable front and rear O2 sensor and use PLX as my only O2 sensor? By the way this is in a swapped car OBD1 so I can legally pass smog tail pipe emissions test even with just 1 O2 sensor in my area. Thanks
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: PLX wideband as main O2 Sensor

Post by KTuner »

Closed loop requires the factory front O2.
RABOOST

Post by RABOOST »

OK since Im using a 2003 Accord harness with K24A4 Engine with the appropriate 05 ECU in my swap, do I have to use an 05 or 03 WIDEBAND Factory O2 sensor or are those year generation using the same O2 sensor?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

03-05 Accord, 05-06 RSX, 03-06 Element Front O2.
RABOOST

Post by RABOOST »

OK thanks got it
RABOOST

Post by RABOOST »

It would be really awesome if you guys can give the option of using a PLX wideband as an O2 simulator because it cost $130 for an OEM wideband O2 sensor even a bosch aftermarket one. Having a PLX wideband as my main and only source of 02 signal also eliminates having to weld 2 O2 bungs on the downpipe. :(
spameggsandrice

Post by spameggsandrice »

WIDEBAND LAMBDA INTERFACE

It is possible to use an aftermarket wideband lambda meter to provide an accurate lambda reading to the ECU.

Note that a wideband lambda meter consists of a oxygen sensor and controller - both components need to be
used in order to get a wideband lambda reading.

Installation
You will need a wideband meter which has an analog output, preferably 0-5V with a linear relationship between
voltage and lambda. The wideband meter analog output is then wired into an used ECU input. Available ECU
inputs are:
See ECU Connectors for information about locating the correct ECU pin.

Grounding
In order to prevent ground loops, it is critical that the lambda meter uses the same ground as the ECU, for both
the power and analog output sections of the lambda meter. For the K-Series engine, the correct ground point to
use is G101, located on the intake manifold. Do not ground the ECU or lambda meter to any other points, or
share the lambda meter ground wire with any other devices.

Settings
Wideband input settings are found under Closed loop parameters

Select the analog input pin.
It is possible to compensate for a voltage difference between the ECU and lambda meter. Note that in most
cases this means that you have a ground offset problem, and will not get accurate readings unless the grounds
are changed. If you need to enter an offset value, this means you have a ground problem which should be
fixed.

The voltage from the wideband is translated to the lambda reading. Normally your lambda meter documentation
will have an output graph which shows you which values to use. If you meter has more than two
voltage/lambda pairs, it may not have a linear output, and cannot be used.

PLX Lambda Meters
PLX lambda meters all provide a 0V=10:1, 5V=20:1 analog output.

AEM Lambda Meters
Later AEM lambda meters output 0V=10:1, 5V=20:1. Earlier lambda meters had different voltage outputs -
check your manual.
· SO2 (secondary o2 sensor). Secondary oxygen sensor must be disabled and disconnected. Note that it is not
recommended to use this pin for wideband input as the ECU internally limits the voltage so that an accurate
wideband reading cannot be made.
· EGRL (EGR lift). Requires the use of an ECU pin and wire.
· ECT2 (Second water temperature sensor). The Second ECT sensor must be disabled and the factory pin must
be removed from the ECU connector.
· ELD (Electrical Load). ELD must be disabled and the factory pin must be removed from the ECU connector.

Innovative Lambda Meters
Innovative lambda meters should be programmed to produce the 'standard' analog output of 0V =10:1, 5V =
20:1. To do this you will need the programming software and cable for the lambda meter - contact Innovative
for more information above this.
Setting the analog output voltage
Setting the output voltage under warm-up and error conditions.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No, it isn't. You'll need the factory wideband to retain closed loop.
spameggsandrice

Post by spameggsandrice »

I tried and failed. KTuner Admin 1 - Me 0
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

KTuner wrote:Closed loop requires the factory front O2.
Twas answered in the first response to the OPs question.

For aftermarket O2 monitoring only you can use any of the inputs listed in the wideband section. This is for monitoring only, not closed loop operation.

Return to “General Hardware Questions”