TypeR Turbo Upgrade

Questions about your KTunerFlash V2 Hardware
typermode

TypeR Turbo Upgrade

Post by typermode »

I've been emailing PRL support, and they're saying if you do a P600 turbo upgrade (or even the Pure 550/PS2), you need to update the fuel system too.
I got the fuel system update suggestion by a reputable KTuner 'tuner' as well.

Hondata has a fuel system upgrade which is the recommendation from PRL and 2 other well know sources.
When I sent this fuel system option to PRL, PRL support said:
Hondata has base tunes and mapping to adjust for that full kit, essentially locking you into using Hondata. If you're on KTuner unfortunately sort of "gave up" on the Type R, therefore there is not much support at all for big turbo and updating the fuel system. We would suggest switching to Hondata if you're going this route.

Isn't an option to find a tuner that works with KTuner to develop a map to work with a turbo/Hondata fuel system upgrade?
Would love to stay with KTuner, but the main question is >> can I do a turbo upgrade along with Hondata fuel system upgrade while still on KTuner?
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: TypeR Turbo Upgrade

Post by KTuner »

They'll never share the required data to be able to use it.

We're looking to test the XDI pump and have a tester lined up, but they've failed to provide us with the required information so we'll see if we can make it work.
typermode

Post by typermode »

Sounds like current answer is "no" for upgrading to bigger turbo if you're on KTuner...correct?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

If you actually mean fuel system, correct.
typermode

Post by typermode »

PRL support, 2 Step Performance, Hybrid Racing and Derek are all saying it's pointless w/o a fuel system upgrade.
Replies from these support points of contact:
  • it will severely limit your performance gains. To get your money's worth out of the turbo, upgrading the fuel system is vital.
  • there is a known fuel starvations happening when power is upgraded
  • The factory fuel system is out of flow with simple bolt ons and tuning. You will run out of fuel system at the same power level regardless of what turbocharger is attached to the engine.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Sounds like you have enough information to choose whether it's worth it or not for you given the factory fuel system's limitations. There are several others who have upgraded turbos and are happy with their results at this point. Make your own decision.
typermode

Post by typermode »

Can you tune to Hondata + Hondata fuel system + whatever turbo, then just use KTuner V2 for extra display?
I really like the touchscreen and gauges + LEDs for 2 stage rev.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Absolutely. The unit can connect, display, and datalog any CAN based Honda/Acura vehicle.

Return to “KTunerFlash V2 Specific”