Knock control weird after using Lucus octane boost

extermin8r

Knock control weird after using Lucus octane boost

Post by extermin8r »

I ran initially .5 bottle for the whole tank, and it seemed to work. Knock stayed around 57 rather than 60+ consistently after good pulls. It got as high as 63 but came down quick back to .49.
Usually it will get highest around .70, then I chill til it gets back down to .49.
Where things went south was putting the rest of the bottle in after my test run. When I woke up the next day and started to drive to work, I always use ECO till the engine warms up. When I turned off ECO, my knock control went as high as 1.06 quickly. Very not normal. At this point I am freaking out. I drove to work not getting on it because it would hover around .90. I later found that using ECO mode, that the knock comes back down to .49.
I have tried new gas, different stations and I only use Shell. Reflashing the same tune. Nothing as returned my car to normal after 3 tanks.
Stock car, running 21lbs dual tune.
Now when I get in, after warm up it will start to ping or knock control goes up high, I use ECO to get it all the way normal, or turn off around 60, and let it learn down in full boost mode. From there I can usually get on it like I used to. With knock control shooting up to 60+ and come down after crusing a little bit. Knock counts are anywere from 0 to 2 per drive. Was 0 on my 140 mile drive today.
So IDK what gives. Also, I have never shown data for ethanol percent until after this condition, but it is always 0% is this value supposed to be populated?
Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
extermin8r

Re: Knock control weird after using Lucus octane boost

Post by extermin8r »

I was going to update today. I tried another Shell last night. Drive it to work. That gas felt great, car acted normal as ever. I guess my favorite stop is getting bad gas.

I will report back if any changes
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Ahhh I was going to ask if you had tried a different fill up location. The octane booster may not be helping either. I'd probably not use it.
extermin8r

Post by extermin8r »

Yuuuuup and no need for the booster, just get good gas lol. Things are better than ever. Thank you.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No problem
urfdrms

Post by urfdrms »

Needed to bump this post, as I had a very similar experience with Lucas Octane Booster in particular. I had AUDIBLE knocking, and will attribute that to bad gas PLUS additives; a perfect shitstorm. We all need to keep tabs on where we filled up last and never go there again, lol...

I tried others like the Royal Purple Maxboost(which seemed to work), but it was EXPENSIVE, and I knew that I was also filling the fuel system with unnecessary chemicals. I also was considering that my aftermarket Intake was heatsoaking/throwing off fuel trims perhaps, so i switched it back out for the stock. All in all, i don't think it was necessary and a waste of my time.

SOLUTION:
USE THE RIGHT FUEL.
I don't remember what I had put in to make this all happen, but I ran through 2 entire tanks of Chevron, and it consistently got better over that time. Under load with whatever gas I had in there was really like hearing marbles in the engine if under load, and Knock Retard was shooting up to the 11's; Ktrl was as high as 1.08.

After doing more research on GDI engines specifically, I'm switching to Shell V-Power 91 gas from now on. I have not heard any AUDIBLE knocking or pinging from either Chevron or Shell, but I feel better (peace of mind) on keeping my Turbo GDI engine's carbon deposits lower, as it will occur over time no matter what.

Car: FC3 Si/Ktuner 1.2 w/MAP Stage 1+ Tune/MAP Stealth Exhaust/Mishimoto Intake

Just wanted to share for those that may be stressing themselves like I was... =(
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Good info for sure.

Return to “16-21 Civic 1.5T”