Different Quick Enables & Quick Adjustments Explanation?

davemarco

Different Quick Enables & Quick Adjustments Explanation?

Post by davemarco »

Hi All,

Just got my KTuner, and read through the online help file. I am still unclear on the difference between the various Turbo enhancement check boxes. Can anyone provide a more in-depth explanation of what the following do:

Early Spool
Turbo Spool
Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness
Boost Target Ramp Rate

They all seem to be described as doing roughly the same thing. I am sure that there are subtle differences though. Can anyone provide a more in-depth explanation of these?
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Different Quick Enables & Quick Adjustments Explanation?

Post by KTuner »

davemarco wrote:Hi All,

Just got my KTuner, and read through the online help file. I am still unclear on the difference between the various Turbo enhancement check boxes. Can anyone provide a more in-depth explanation of what the following do:

Early Spool
Turbo Spool
Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness
Boost Target Ramp Rate

They all seem to be described as doing roughly the same thing. I am sure that there are subtle differences though. Can anyone provide a more in-depth explanation of these?
I want to make sure you're reading from the right place, because they're not described the same way in the help at all. I would describe them the same way they're described on the pages, as they're pretty simple yet specific descriptions. You may be overlooking keywords and I'm not sure how I can help you there. Here's the same info with some highlights that may trigger something.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/early_spool.htm
Early Spool starts the turbo spooling process sooner than factory adding additional low end and mid-range. It greatly improves overall drivability and does well in combination with the Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness Quick Adjustment.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/turbo_spool.htm
Turbo Spool options depict how aggressively the turbo spools toward the current boost target.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/part_throt ... veness.htm
Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness options control how the turbo reacts to the throttle at part throttle
Improved level options will spool faster than factory to reach part throttle boost targets.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/boost_target_ramp_rate.htm
There's also dampening on the overall turbo charger pressure target where if your target is 18 it will start at a lower level and ramp up to the target over time. On the factory settings with high levels of boost targeted it can take some time to reach your full boost target.
davemarco

Post by davemarco »

Thanks KTuner. My apologies, I should have been more careful with my phrasing. I suppose that what I'm truly looking for is a more in-depth (quantitative) understanding of how each option does what it does, in order to more accurately predict how they would interact with one another. I attempted to see if toggling various quick enables would effect any visual changes to the boost tables (ex - early spool setting more aggressive boost targets for lower RPM's), but there did not see to be any visual changes to the numbers, making it difficult to predict what the effect would be.

For example: early spool starts the turbo spooling process sooner - could you possible elaborate on the rpm that spooling begins normally, versus the rpm that spooling begins with this option on?

Example 2: Turbo spool depicts how aggressively the turbo spools toward the current boost target. Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness at improved levels will spool faster to reach part throttle boost targets. These both seem to accomplish the same thing, albeit with one accomplishing it in a more specific context. If possible, I would like to understand quantitatively what each actually does to understand how they interact together (do they stack, does one supercede the other, if they stack is the effect 1.5x either alone, 2x faster, etc.).

Maybe it's the engineer in me, but I always like to try and understand the hard numbers behind things like this. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
davemarco

Post by davemarco »

Also as a similar follow up question, could you elaborate on the behavior of the "throttle responsiveness" option? On the stock SI, the throttle appears to be much more sensitive in Sport mode than in Regular mode. Does using an "improved" throttle responsiveness option increase both Regular and Sports throttle responsiveness by the same amount (making Sports mode remain the more sensitive option, with both increasing in sensitivity over stock), or does it level out the throttle sensitivity for both Regular and Sports mode (making both equal to the same "improved" sensitivity level).
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Engineer in you... now I understand. For the two options you mentioned, think waste gate control, not targets. All of the quick adjustments are setup to work well and play nice, whether separate or together. In tandem they compliment the overall drivability feel, aggressiveness, etc.

For throttle response options it changes overall response regardless of mode.
jbrown5035

Post by jbrown5035 »

can you change quick enables with the touchscreen menu options on the V2? or do i need to create a new calibration?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

All adjustments are part of the tunes you upload to the unit/ECU.
Ktunerfan

Post by Ktunerfan »

If I'm doing the Starter 18 would putting everything at Improved II be a good setting and safe for better drivability? Or are the Staged tunes a better choice for a tuning newbie?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Starter 18 will have less torque and power than 21. Combinations of the quick adjustments can get pretty aggressive, but everything was tested, safe, and has been reported as good for everyone for nearly two years!
bbrtuning

Post by bbrtuning »

KTuner wrote: http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/early_spool.htm
Early Spool starts the turbo spooling process sooner than factory adding additional low end and mid-range. It greatly improves overall drivability and does well in combination with the Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness Quick Adjustment.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/turbo_spool.htm
Turbo Spool options depict how aggressively the turbo spools toward the current boost target.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/part_throt ... veness.htm
Part Throttle Turbo Responsiveness options control how the turbo reacts to the throttle at part throttle
Improved level options will spool faster than factory to reach part throttle boost targets.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/boost_target_ramp_rate.htm
There's also dampening on the overall turbo charger pressure target where if your target is 18 it will start at a lower level and ramp up to the target over time. On the factory settings with high levels of boost targeted it can take some time to reach your full boost target.
As a tuner of 12 years I agree these are quite vague and don't really mean much of anything on their own. I think the only one that's clear is the "boost target ramp rate" function which directly affects the rate of change in pressure target over time, for a given driver demand.

To give you one example, the middle two options suggest that they control how fast the turbo spools towards the current target, albeit (I'm guessing here) one is for full throttle and one is for part throttle. Also you stated that it uses wastegate control to achieve this faster spool to the target. However, even with "part throttle turbo responsiveness" set to only level I vs level III, I still see that the wastegate position is fully closed while the turbo is spooling up (which is what I'd like).

In this particular case, and to be more specific, I'd like more control over the relationship between pedal position (APP, which in KTuner is called TPS for some reason) and the current boost target. In my opinion the maps are set up with too high/aggressive of a boost target in part throttle areas, causing the 2nd half of the pedal travel to have little effect on boost target, and therefore torque output. I'd like a more linear boost target vs pedal position, however at the same time I'd like the engine to achieve the target as quickly as possible. These are certainly not mutually exclusive goals, but it's unclear what settings to use to achieve this.

Hopefully in a future update we will have access to the actual tables for pedal vs throttle relationship (for Normal and Sport) and the pedal vs boost target relationship. This would also allow adjustment and control of "rev hang". :D

Return to “16-21 Civic 1.5T”