Stage 2 vs Starter 21psi?

vctaillon

Re: Stage 2 vs Starter 21psi?

Post by vctaillon »

Thanks for the info on Final Boost Target. (FBT)

All your information is very much appreciated.

I am on a learning curve here. You can say that I'm trying to extend the limits of boost targets overall to see what the 1.5 turbo CVT is capable of at full throttle and full boost with stock gear, but I'm not sure of the implications to the CVT. I believe I'm topped out here. Maybe I need to go get a dyno tune to see what topped out really is!

Do you know what PSI the stock Honda 1.5 turbo can generate with stock intake? Factory default pressure I believe 16.5 PSI. Right now my FBT is set to 24 PSI, that's +7.5PSI ! I am simply doing some road tuning looking at log data and seeing results and enjoying it. Should I change the FBT back to the default Starter 21PSI of 21.5 PSI? Under quick enables, is the CVT capable of handling Disable Boost Target Dampening without issue? There is a note that this setting is harsh on CVT’s. I heard ktuner has gone beyond what I have now in stage 2 settings without issues, this is amazing to say the least.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Please re-read the details on the final boost target table. Boost Target tables are the Boost Targets, not the Final Boost Target table. Final Boost Target processes the current boost target and should be left alone unless you're expanding it to allow for more boost. This is explained in the help page I linked you to.

If your boost target table is set to 16 that's all you're going to get unless you change 16 on the final boost target table to something other than 16.

There's a warning against disabling boost target dampening right in the software. There wouldn't be a warning without a reason. Use the option at your own risk.
vctaillon

Post by vctaillon »

Hello,

2017 EXT Hatch 1.5 T CVT

End User 21 psi is uploaded with all "Quick Adjustments" set to Stage II CVT. Disable Boost Target Dampening is unchecked, Early Spool is checked. The warning is understood. Has Ktuner had issue with CVT with Disable Boost Target Dampening checked with all the testing being done since with this tune? Ran it off briefly one afternoon, clearly a difference.

Though the guide explains that it's better for the CVT Civic to adjust turbo boost by gear, there is only the example given in Tuning Information for Gear Selection 1.

Guide is not complete on how to customize the Boost Target Limit Table by gear for a 1.5 T CVT so the guess is by test. So guessing it's ok starting at 2nd gear, 3rd and so on to increase +1 or 2 psi from 3000 rpm and up interpolate the columns to keep the transition smooth? Or should the table be left alone as is? What top end constraint do we have for max boost? Or should this be left at 22.5 psi? Enjoy learning how to road tune with this and would like to continue.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

There's no reason to give examples for all gears, as it's set the same way for all gears. 15 PSI in the example is not a suggestion of what to use for gear 1, it's simply an example of how to limit to 15 if that's what you're wanting to do. You need to choose what targets to use in each gear on your own.

The 22.5 in the final boost will be the max unless you decide to change it yourself. If you understand the risks of adding boost then you have full control to increase the limits as you see fit.

Target Dampening disabled puts you very easily to max boost with no wait or ramping. This is pretty harsh, hence the warning!
vctaillon

Post by vctaillon »

KTuner wrote:There's no reason to give examples for all gears, as it's set the same way for all gears. 15 PSI in the example is not a suggestion of what to use for gear 1, it's simply an example of how to limit to 15 if that's what you're wanting to do. You need to choose what targets to use in each gear on your own.

The 22.5 in the final boost will be the max unless you decide to change it yourself. If you understand the risks of adding boost then you have full control to increase the limits as you see fit.

Target Dampening disabled puts you very easily to max boost with no wait or ramping. This is pretty harsh, hence the warning!
Great, thanks for letting me know. So your max recommended boost is 22.5 psi without risk above with risk. I'm keeping it there for now. I'm learning how your tuning software works and understand the risk. I needed to know the difference between boost tuning tables, final boosting tables, and boost by gear tuning tables. With research on the web, your site and others, settings have been pushed beyond 22.5 psi to 25 psi and more yes with risk however reportedly with no issues yet since issue of End User. I'm having fun with this and I'll play carefully with this tune. Thanks again.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No, our recommended options are our basemaps. Anything beyond that is up to you.
Bgutierrezx

Post by Bgutierrezx »

Can’t really understand the final boost target table. So if I don’t intend to make over 22.5 psi I should leave it alone and focus on the boost by gear, target boost etc ? Last thing the “target boost” on top of the final boost target is not AP right ?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The table is explained in the help.

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/final_boost_target.htm

Return to “16-21 Civic 1.5T”