Limiter/Governor

Mada51589

Limiter/Governor

Post by Mada51589 »

So, the speed governor, 120mph(some say its 128mph), on this car stays in-place after tuning, even after loading your pre-made tune for the car.

Also, from my understanding(by reading other comments for other cars on this form), one aspect of the "two-step" limiter determines the rpm where the engine will cut when revving in neutral. I'm aware that's not the primary function of the two-step limiter. And to not be confused with the term "two-stepping" used in drag racing. In the Factory base tune for this car, the two-step limit is set @ 5000 and the restart is set @ 4800 rpms. This setting was not touched in the pre-made tune, "Tune1", that you made. The car will not rev to 5000rpms in Park/Neutral nor any higher if you change the setting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm by no means an expert at tuning, but it appears that these settings, Speed governor and two-step limiter, do not function within the KTuner software. Again, I'm coming to this conclusion with using your tune, not altered at all by anyone.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Limiter/Governor

Post by KTuner »

The governor is fully removed on this platform if you've flashed since the update where it was removed.

The two step limiter is meant for MT, as AT has it's own set of controls for this. You didn't mention what you're being limited to, so I can't assist you further.
Mada51589

Post by Mada51589 »

After your reply on 6/5, I made sure the PC app and Ktuner were up to date and then I re-flashed using the latest pre-made tune ("Tune 1"). As you can imagine, getting the chance to open it up and hit 120+ is slim, but I was able to get there once just after flashing and I just did a second time today. It's still topping out at about 120mph (Ktuner showing 119mph), petal on the floor, 5th or 6th gear.

I've even edited the pre-made tune, "Tune 1", with my normal adjustments in timing and fuel, which I also tested today, and no difference to top speed. So, what else is there to try?

As for the 2 step/low rev limit, It's working in the parameters set in the pre-made tune now that I'm using the most updated "Tune 1". I haven't edited it yet to see if the changes stick, but will soon.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Send an email with the file.
Mada51589

Post by Mada51589 »

Sent the pre-made tune, "Tune 1", and the tune with ignition and fuel adjustments based off of the pre-made tune.
14TLSHAWDY

Post by 14TLSHAWDY »

I just loaded the same Tune 1 and the governor was not removed as well don’t know whats keeping it from changing
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The governor is removed. You won't find a fuel cut or throttle drop at the original cut speed, like you would from the factory. Go ahead and datalog factory/tuned and review the differences.

The AT behavior has it shift in to a higher gear and you're likely not making enough power to continue to climb.
fanniepackboi

Post by fanniepackboi »

So I can confirm that the speed limiter is removed...
In my case when I put car in in "s" mode 5th gear once you hit 120 car auto shifts to 6th and does not accelerate past 128. However i went in "d" mode and down a hill it pasted 135 in 6th. SO it is removed. I do not know how to keep car in 5th
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Thanks for confirming.
turbo9589

Post by turbo9589 »

It sounds as if going downhill "fixed" the issue for that person and not because the car itself past 120mph under its own power.
I happened to find myself hitting the 120mph limit today, on a closed course (of course). The trans was in "S." The RPMs were not high enough to hit fuel cut, but that's what happened at 120mph. The car pulled hard up until that point, a lack of power couldn't have been the issue. Is it a limitation of the "S" mode? It's rare for me to see that speed, but I suppose I'll have to remember to try "D" and see if it happens again. The KTuner/software/map are definitely up to date.

Return to “09-14 TL Specific”