VCM J37 Head Swap

beekayhoax

VCM J37 Head Swap

Post by beekayhoax »

Have had my J35Z2 VCM Sedan for 5 years now, need a little kick ; )
Acquired a J37A4 top-end -- manifold, runners, injectors, throttle body, and heads from a 2010 TL SH-AWD.

After doing research, I've determined a few things.
- iVTEC assy in the VCM block is incorporated through an oil pressure sensor in each head that triggers shutting the quasi-position rocker arms to shut off 2 or 3 cylinders.
- The 'VTEC' assy is incorporated into each head, as opposed to traditional VTEC heads (J35Z3, J37.....) which don't have VTEC or Oil pressure sensors in the heads.
- J37 etc.. Traditional VTEC engines only have one VTEC switch/spool assy. inside the OIL PUMP.
Therefore, my head has 4 harness wires (2 oil pressure, 2 'i-vtec'), actually 5, the rear head has an additional one for the VCM rocker arm switch.

KTuner, any advice you can offer on incorporated VTEC heads into a VCM block/VCM R71 PZEV ECU, I'd greatly appreciate!
Sorry for bothering you on IG :D.

We have already acquired the traditional oil pump and spool valve assy. from the J35Z3.
We assume the 4 plugs, need to be combined into 2, for the new Spool Valve Assy. and brought down to the oil pump.
KTuner End-User kit still does not have VCM disable, so I will just run with the Rocker Arm CEL and pray in the next year (inspection 04/2017), you might get the VCM Disable figured out :)
I know you said my ECU does not have VTEC, will I need a different ECU? Any ideal ones that I should look for so I can re-use my end-user kit?

Kenny's e-Tuning on my J35 has been great so far!
Thanks again!
*All hail k-Tuner*
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: VCM J37 Head Swap

Post by KTuner »

Sounds like a fun project. :)

Without a VTEC ECU you won't be able to properly engage and tune VTEC.
beekayhoax

Post by beekayhoax »

Thank you for the amazingly swift response!
Fun project it is :D We are using RL piston to get the compression up.

Could you give me an idea of which ECU I can use without buying a new K-Tuner kit,
Or is my KTuner module only able to work with the 08-12 Honda Accord?
Cant use the 6-6 ECU because its for a MT.

Any 5AT VTEC ECU I can use with the 08-12 Accord KTuner kit?
Pilot, MDX?
Maybe send you my ECU for modification?
Got $$$ :D Not too much, but hopefully enough ;)

Thanks!

This is what what Paul (NVA-AV6) was asking.
1. Will KTuner be able to make it so, fuel and air is still sent during ECO mode, basically disabling all of VCM besides the ECO light.
2. Will VTEC still engage with the Rocker Arm VCM Switches unplugged.

1. ?
2. Tested 2 by disconnecting VCM, got the CEL, did a WOT and felt like VTEC was still there.

He thinks I should just sell my KTuner and go the Hondata FlashPro Route with an MDX ECU.
But I have hope in you dude!!!! :D
And who knows what all this ECU work will do to my OE navigation/climate control. fml
beekayhoax

Post by beekayhoax »

Just spoke with Paul, his recommendation is an 07 MDX ECU.
I see you support it, would I need to buy a new end-user kit?

Thanks again!
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

I do not know if it will be pin compatible with your harness and compatible with your transmission. You'll need to do your own research on this.

Unlock from your current ECU to use it on another. Details are in the online help.

Return to “08-12 Accord V6 Specific”