WinXP Issues -SOLVED

Questions about software installation and registration
Audiophyle

WinXP Issues -SOLVED

Post by Audiophyle »

I have the Ktuner setup working fine in Win7 on my macbook, but WinXP on my netbook is giving me headaches.
I am running WinXP Pro SP3, this is a fresh install with all current updates. (Including .net frameworks & WinUSB2.0)

Ktuner installed fine, but the driver will not with similar errors as this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54
If I plug in the device & try to install the driver as the Ktuner instructions say, I get an install error saying the driver is unsigned and also not needed.
If I go through the device manager the Ktuner device shows a warning sign, & trying to update or repair the driver I then get the same corrupted/missing error code as others.
The pc recognizes the Ktuner device when plugged in, and even let me update(unlock) the Ktuner software so I can open & use the software, but there is no communication possible with the ECU. I just downloaded the Zadig program for forcing driver installs, and will try that tomorrow.

Another issue I am having is when I select File->New, instead of a screen full of basemap options I get a screen full of empty rows with nothing to select. I have uninstalled & reinstalled several times, which has made no difference.

All advice welcomed, who has had luck with running on WinXP?
Last edited by Audiophyle on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: WinXP Issues

Post by KTuner »

Windows XP has it's own set of particular issues. The drivers need to be manually installed when you insert the device. Even then it can throw fits.

Zadig works great for forcing the install.

You need to connect to a device before you can see anything.
Audiophyle

Re: WinXP Issues

Post by Audiophyle »

Finally got the time to screw with this netbook again, and this time with success!

Using Zadig with the Ktuner board plugged in (Ktuner software not running), I was able to replace the "libusb0 (v1.2.6.0)" driver with the "WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)" driver, which prompted for a computer restart afterward. After the reboot I reopened Zadig to confirm that "WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)" was showing as the current driver, which it was, so I closed Zadig & opened Ktuner.

Ktuner had partially unlocked before, but as I stated earlier all of the base maps were missing. This time I was greeted by a popup right away saying I needed to register, with the options "yes" or "no". Clicking Yes would kick up another screen saying it could not connect to the server & that I needed to check my internet connection (which was fine). After a few tries & plugging/unplugging the cable it eventually gave me a success popup and I finally have Ktuner running on my netbook with WinXP.

Install on Win7 was a breeze, too bad my netbook wont handle it. ha ha ha.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: WinXP Issues -SOLVED

Post by KTuner »

Excellent. Glad you're up and running. Zadig is a pretty sweet driver app for situations where Windows just isn't cooperating!
Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle »

Me too, I snagged the Netbook off eBay for $40 specifically for a compact tuning device and can finally put it to use.

With the 1.6ghz CPU & 1GB of ram it struggled a little with Ktuner at first. I set everything in WinXP to max performance with zero visual enhancements, and allocated a larger section of the SSD to providing virtual memory (to supplement the 1GB of ram), and Ktuner is now running quickly & has had no problems datalogging or syncing with my ECU.

I am much more comfortable kicking around a tiny $40 netbook than my $3k MacBook Pro, and these throw-away netbooks are only going to get cheaper. A perfect solution! ha ha ha
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

I feel you on that. I may have to pick one of these up. The HP stream slows down when a tuning map is open and live trace is occurring. What kind of speeds are you seeing for logging?
Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle »

The slowest I have seen it drop to is 40fps, typically it hovers around 70-90fps while logging with a tuning map open. Seems plenty fast enough to me.

Return to “KTuner Software Installation”