Welcome to KTuner

Welcome to KTuner. Share a bit about yourself and your vehicle.
Jd8

Re: Welcome to KTuner

Post by Jd8 »

Hi all. JD here. 2014 RDX AWD with all the J series bolt on mods. My previous car was a 2009 Accord 6MT coupe, which I traded in for the RDX 8 months ago when my first kid was born. Currently working with Derek at IMW on the first ever 2nd gen RDX tune!
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Awesome and welcome!
qbsystems

Post by qbsystems »

Hi All

I live in the UK and own a Civic Type R . I have owned the car for 1 year now and would like to tune so want to buy a Ktuner so doing some research on the site.

thanks
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

qbsystems wrote:Hi All

I live in the UK and own a Civic Type R . I have owned the car for 1 year now and would like to tune so want to buy a Ktuner so doing some research on the site.

thanks
Great. Reach out to TDI North or Van Drie Tuning! They can help you get setup!
ladysi

Post by ladysi »

Hi all!

My name is Andrea. I have a 2018 Civic Si Sedan and I bought a ktuner v2 a couple of months ago. Started with a stage 1 ktuner tune, removed hang, made a few other tweaks, and my car is totally different beast. Better than before. Better from a stop, more responsive, better acceleration. I now run a MAPerformance tune at 19/23 boost, and am very happy with the performance. Ktuner v2 made it easy to get started, awakened my car, and gave me a fun HUD device too.

I have been making a number of electronics modifications to my car, but the relevant ktuner setup is:

My Ktuner v2 hardwired to an odb2 port on a three way splitter (each odb2 port on the splitter has a dash switch connected inline to pin 16 to cut odb2 power to the device). I have 2 other odb2 devices on the odb2 splitter - a bluetooth odb2 scanner (almost always off), and a team mobile SyncUP drive (a big brother hotspot and gps tracker). The usb cable is connected to a tablet mounted to the inside passenger chair rail stand. Tablet is an ancient Dell 8.1" Venue 8 Pro running windows 8.1 and the ktuner software.

I use tunerview on my phone as well - essentially I am using the odb2 port, the usb, and the bluetooth simultaneously.

When everything is working, it is pretty neat. The ktuner v2 itself has gauges/text for rpms, intake and engine temps, and voltage. The leds are programmed as shift lights. The phone running tunerview has gauges for fuel trims, etc. The tablet has realtime graphs, a realtime data table of all values, and some pretty/cute analog gauges. The tablet also makes it easier to play with tunes, record/review datalogs, change the led configuration, and most importantly - learn about my engine and tuning in general!

For how neat it is, I wish it was better, there are a few frustrating things that really break the ease of use on a tablet. I understand that the ktuner software is first and foremost a tuner's tool, but it is also good at real time stuff.

Some Observations:
  • The ktuner v2 is powered by both the usb and odb2 port and can apparently switch between them seamlessly. My tablet has an otg cable and when I cut power to pin 16 on the ktuner v2, it stays powered from the otg cable (powered by either the usb on the car when running or the tablet when the car is off).
  • The Ktuner v2 turns off (or maybe enters some type of sleep) when the car's engine is not running (even if it is powered by pin 16 or by the the usb port).
  • In order to keep the display on while the: car is off, odb2 port plugged in, ktuner receiving power (from either odb2 pin 16 or usb), and the ktuner software running on a pc connected through usb - I usually have to enter demo mode. Otherwise the screen flickers and is hard to interact with.
  • The Ktuner blocks my team mobile syncup drive from working correctly. When I start the car, the tmobile device stops reporting gps location, the wifi no longer works, and it drops off the network. This is really more of a problem with the team mobile device as it basically disables itself if it cannot communicate with the car ecu. Once the car is turned off, the ktuner turns off/goes to sleep, and then the team mobile device reconnects to the network and all of its features return to normal. This behavior leads me to believe that the ktuner is "greedy", my car's odb2 port cannot handle multiple devices, or the tmobile device has issues....or a combination thereof.
  • The ktuner software is quite bright, relying mostly on the default windows theme. Unfortunately, when I move to a dark theme, certain UI text in the ktuner software becomes unreadable. It appears as if some of the text is hardcoded to be black. I usually switch to a standard theme to change settings, and then use a dark theme for realtime display (especially at night).
  • My LEDs have stopped working a few times, and they are kinda frustrating to get working again. I have to essentially let the device reset - cut all power to it, wait a few minutes, only connect it through usb, and then open and save the leds config in the ktuner software, and then hope it works (testing with demo mode). Once it is working, I can reconnect all the things. This is a relatively new and frustrating issue.
Ktuner Software Wishlist:
  • A more touchscreen-friendly layout editor UI - especially an option to change the size of layout items without the hotkey (impossible on a touchscreen). I am considering buying a mini bluetooth/touchpad specifically for this issue.
  • Option to change the rate of the x-axis scroll for the realtime graphs. It would be really convenient and useful to make that graph 30 seconds or a couple of minutes worth of data. Would be nice for spot checking data at stop lights.
  • High contrast display support or more color options for the layout: Background colors for the layout background and graphs. No hardcoded menu, setting, or layout text.
  • Software option to reset the ktuner v2 (as if the ktuner was turned off without power for a few minutes).
  • Android support (I am afraid to run it in wine on linux).
Ktuner v2 Device Wishlist:
  • Option to set power to only pull from one interface (odb2 or usb). I understand that this may also be handled in a discrete circuit, and may not be alterable by software. It is a wish nonetheless.
  • Automatic Brightness Control - light sensor or clock driven?
All in all, Ktuner is a fantastic device and software package, even better with tunerview. Thanks for the efforts @KTuner :)
20190414_183609.jpg
Andrea's 2018 Civic Si Sedan
(5.86 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20190512_234751.jpg
Through Drivers Side Window
(216.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20190512_234813.jpg
From the Back Seat
(220.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Thanks for the feedback!

Most of your concerns are how the unit is supposed to operate. Since it's hardware, there's no way to switch how it receives power through the ports.

Laptops often can't give the device full power so the unit goes to sleep when connected to the software and not an ECU. It assumes no OBD power at that point and goes into power saver mode. If you don't have the software logging from the device you can simply touch it to wake up for 2 minutes until it goes into deep sleep. When the software is connected, but no ECU present it will assume laptop power and go into power saver mode on the display.

Having more than one device talk to the ECU simultaneously is unfortunately not a possibility. The data will collide or get mixed up as the devices submit requests and wait for replies.

I can look into making the software easier to setup with a tablet. Now that there are more and more available that's not a bad idea! Will also look at your other suggestions.

Happy to check out your unit if your LEDs keep acting up. Shoot an email in if so.
ladysi

Post by ladysi »

KTuner wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
Most welcome!!! I love this device and the various softwares, I can only hope to help make it better (and pay much gratitude for the hard work you are all doing).
KTuner wrote:Having more than one device talk to the ECU simultaneously is unfortunately not a possibility. The data will collide or get mixed up as the devices submit requests and wait for replies.
I can successfully run multiple devices - those that only scan/sniff. The problem I have is with multiple devices that send. I presume an odb2 gateway is needed in order to aggregate the signals in a sane way. Thanks for the confirmation :)
KTuner wrote:I can look into making the software easier to setup with a tablet. Now that there are more and more available that's not a bad idea! Will also look at your other suggestions.
Sweet. Once I get everything cleaned up, I will post a couple of pictures of my setup for inspiration!
KTuner wrote:Happy to check out your unit if your LEDs keep acting up. Shoot an email in if so.
Sounds good, they had an issues this morning, but after the device was powered down for a bunch of hours (as I was working on some other modifications on my car and had the battery negative and tablet disconnected), they seem to be working fine. If they act up again I can figure out the circumstances that cause them to stop working, I will send an email.
piterek

Post by piterek »

On my 4th Civic (1978, 1998, 2011 and now 2019)... but first time tuner. Excited to learn something new... KTuner v1.2 on my 2019 FK7.

Experiencing teething pains with KTuner at the moment... no base maps showing in software :o . I now own a $600CAD brick... LOL. I am confident this will get fixed soon enough.
Linszter

Post by Linszter »

piterek wrote:On my 4th Civic (1978, 1998, 2011 and now 2019)... but first time tuner. Excited to learn something new... KTuner v1.2 on my 2019 FK7.

Experiencing teething pains with KTuner at the moment... no base maps showing in software :o . I now own a $600CAD brick... LOL. I am confident this will get fixed soon enough.
What is your ECU number?
piterek

Post by piterek »

Linszter wrote:
piterek wrote:On my 4th Civic (1978, 1998, 2011 and now 2019)... but first time tuner. Excited to learn something new... KTuner v1.2 on my 2019 FK7.

What is your ECU number?
As reported in KTuner:

ECU: 378205ANC420M1 (label on ECU shows 37820-5AN-C42)
S/W: 37805-5AN-C420

ECU number shows good on the KTuner website... but it is listed under 'International', even though the vehicle was sold in Canada.

Return to “Welcome”