Auto tune

Ask your general questions about KTuner
capri_50

Auto tune

Post by capri_50 »

Good morning.
I recently purchased a new 06 RSX-S. Only mod is an AEM-V2.

Interested in the KTUNER end user. Have a little boring background info on myself as well as a question or comment or so.

I come from a Foxbody mustang world and have done just about every NA combo available for the past 25 years. I have owned over 15 foxbodies - from the last years carb'd (1985) to the 1986-1988 speed density to the 1989-1993 mass air EEC cars. During the transition from carb to speed density, little to no software had been created, so we had to learn about the MAP sensor and how changing cams would "throw" the vacuum off and mess up the "lookup" tables - based on TPS and vacuum. Then we started changing the size of the vacuum lines going from the intake manifold to the MAP sensor to increase the vacuum to the MAP sensor. Not a perfect solution, but enabled us to idle without the car "loading" up. As well as perform other "free" tricks to help performance. Trust me - I learned to re-appreciate the simplicity and cost effectiveness of carburetor tuning during the transition error. Very easy and cheap for me to put my 1985 carbd stand on the track have fun - and Yes - you had to get your hands messy in gas and learn how to read spark plugs, and primary/secondary jets, etc., but it was still fun.

I laugh at it all now, but we had to learn whatever tricks we could at the beginning of the EEC era since the only "rip offs" out were a hypertech chip and an ADS superchip that did NOTHING except bump the timing up to 5 or 6 degrees or so that you could do yourself in 3 minutes with a timing light. These guys were charging $200 or more for a 3 minute job you could do yourself. Again - I laugh at it all now.

Moving forward some years later - :

I have done some tuning on the Speed density stangs as well as the mass-air cars YEARS ago using the old school "EEC analyzer" from Clint Garrity - and still consider it one if the best for foxbody oldies like myself.

Ok - so I have bored everyone - so back to a question:

I realize the complexity that goes into tuning software with MANY parameters needed to perform tuning, but am wondering about a simple "Auto Tune" feature.

I would think there should be a VERY basic way to look at when WOT for the TPS is and automatically - at least tune the fuel Air/Flow ratio to what is considered safe when the car is under load under these conditions. Rather that be 12.X or something to that effect. As well as part cruising. As far as minimal engine load, TPS, etc, we should be able to autotune those specific RPM's close to 13.X or 14.7.

Now - we all know there are MANY factors to try to auto-tune and I doubt there will be a "magic" perfect solution as there are many factors. For instance, everyone's sensors would have to be functioning good - especially the O2's and etc, but I would think this would give someone a base so no engine damage/ WOT leaning would occur or at least give them a starting point.

If this system already has a feature like this, please forgive my boring post. If not - I would like the developers to "chime" in and give me hell for asking something like this or give any comment(s) as will. I will not be offended at any criticism as I really like what I have seen in the reviews of this software and am considering buying one.

Thank you in advance,
Jason
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Auto tune

Post by KTuner »

Oh the joys of the older ECUs... and the complex joys of the newer ECUs. :)

I have not implemented auto-tune mostly because of one thing you didn't mention, and will soon learn about if you're not aware already... the variable cam. You are definitely right about it being complex and I'm not saying it won't be added in the future, but for now locking the CAM angle to a specific table and tuning that table manually is your best option.
capri_50

Post by capri_50 »

Thanks you for your quick response.

Yes - since I have only dealt with older CPU's, I didn't have the "goodies" of todays technology. :) We didn't have the nicety of cam angle, vetch, etc.

If one did not learn about LSA (lobe separation angle - and how it affects speed density vacuum, valve events, lift, duration, etc, one could easily pick an incorrect cam and then would have to go though hours again changing cams again - only to find the FACTORY cam performed the best. I had buddies that only paid attention to duration and lift. I would look at their cam and tell them that this was not going to work with the little gear in their rear end or other wrong combinations they had, but you can only drag a horse to water as they say. Some of these guys always though - the bigger the better, when a factory car would wind up beating them and run a whole lot better.

I really appreciate what advances technology has taken in engine management and people like yourself who have improved on what we have. .

I appreciate the response. I am a java and visual basic programmer, but would still not be totally thrilled to program the code for this. I still think it would be an interesting project though.

One would have to understand the EEC - like you all do close to 100%. I understand the mustang's EEC-IV processor parameter's, but that is comparing 1980/90s to now. My def leppard music listening days (mullet hair cut, cut up jeans, etc) vs a fancy Bruno mars of today.

Anyhow - again - I appreciate your response and hope to get involved in purchasing one of your end-user units in the future. Please keep up the good work and keep me informed if you venture into a beta "auto tune" feature in the future. Still sounds like a interesting challenge....

Thanks,
Jason
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

No problem.

It is on my list of things to tackle, so hopefully soon. Let me know if you have further questions.

Return to “General Questions”