Lost factory tune?

FCG2SI

Lost factory tune?

Post by FCG2SI »

After clearing my tunes on my V2, I connected it to my laptop and loaded the Ktuner program. But, as soon it opened it said that I needed to flash the factory tune to the unit. I accidently hit "yes" and it said uploading file on the ktuner V2 screen. However, I had a custom tune on the car. Also, I can't choose "reset to factory" on the Ktuner program since it is grayed out. So my question is, did I lose the factory tune, or is there a way to recover it? I know that I can choose Ktuner's "Factory Calibration," but is it the same as the OEM tune?
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Lost factory tune?

Post by KTuner »

Flashing factory is done on the unit. That's what the software sets up when you connect and don't have it setup yet, as the message states.

If you cleared tunes then you have cleared the tunes that were on the unit, exactly as it says. You'd be setting it up from scratch again in that scenario.
Mada51589

Post by Mada51589 »

Clarification please! When setting the unit up for the first time(or after clearing stored tunes) and the KT software is doing its setup thing, is the device calibrating the factory settings from the car's ecu or is it loading the factory calibration preset from the KT software?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The message actually details that it's setting up the factory tune on the device.
"This KTunerFlash Unit Needs To Be Setup In Order To Connect. This Includes Setting Up Recovery And The Factory Tune. Would You Like To Set This Unit Up For This ECU Now?"
Mada51589

Post by Mada51589 »

I get that the message indicates it's setting up the factory tune on the device, but where is it getting the "Factory" tune from? Is it the one from the KT software ("Factory Base Calibration") or is it taking an image(snapshot) of the current parameters in the ECU.

The terminology used and how its used in the message is the reason why I'm questioning the definition of "Factory Tune".

And what does "Setting up Recovery" mean exactly? In the PC world, a "Recovery", or the action of making a recovery, is taking a snapshot of the current configuration that can be re-imaged(recovered) back to at a later time. So does that mean it's making a recovery of the device's settings (which doesn't make sense due to you having to re-"Set up" the device as a bare unit when you clear stored tunes)?

FYI, I assume the message is referring to the Factory Base Calibration from the KT software.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

KTuner has every supported factory calibration built right into the software. If your software isn't supported in this way you'll get a message saying so and won't be allowed to proceed.
Mada51589

Post by Mada51589 »

Oh boy... So what you're saying is that when the message appears,
"This KTunerFlash Unit Needs To Be Setup In Order To Connect. This Includes Setting Up Recovery And The Factory Tune. Would You Like To Set This Unit Up For This ECU Now?"
, the KT software is taking the factory calibration that's "built right into the software", for my specific car & ecu, and loading it onto the KT V2 device. Correct?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Yes. The software for your exact ECU is being loaded onto the unit if we have it, or you're being told to contact us because we don't have it yet. Rather than forcing each person to spend 20-60 minutes downloading the factory software each time they connect, we take reads of the factory software and build them into KTuner for all supported ECUs. This is not as complicated as you seem to think it is.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

I'm not sure how, but you've misunderstood. The factory tune that is loaded for recovery is the 100% factory tune from Honda, not our tune, not modified in any way. I'm not sure where you're lost on this, but it doesn't need further explanation and your posts are just going to further confuse other people, so they will be removed. This one will be left for reference so there's no confusion.

Return to “KTuner Software”