Feasibility of manually converting Kpro file to Ktuner

MakitaDiesel

Feasibility of manually converting Kpro file to Ktuner

Post by MakitaDiesel »

I have Ktuner in a swapped Insight for K24a2. It fires in neutral on the basemap but it's still months from completion. A fellow swapper on the internets got his started sooner and finished ahead of me with nearly identical specs of a stock with mild bolt ons k24a2 but on Kpro. His expertise in tuning is far ahead of mine so he sent me his tune file and his car runs great. What is the feasibility of taking his Kpro tables/parameters, cell by cell, and putting them into Ktuner? The more general question is can a Kpro file be manually copied if every parameter is duplicated (idle/temp compensation/knock/etc) or what hurdles will I run into? Yes, it will need to be fine tuned, at least on the A/R aspect specific to my exact engine but I don't mind a copy/paste job if it gets me 95% of the way there versus starting from scratch. This will be a relatively modest daily with AC on a budget so the last tenth of power isn't needed, just reliability and longevity. Professional custom dyno tuning was never in the cards and this guy has spent far more time than just an afternoon refining his map. I'll add fuel in the last few columns, retard timing a bit for safety and tweak from there after she's on the road provided there's no knock. The alternative is selling my harness, conversion and Ktuner and joining the dark side with all Kpro spec stuff, then load his map and be 95% there in one click. I'd rather avoid that even if it means tedious translation...up to a point.
KTuner
Site Admin

Re: Feasibility of manually converting Kpro file to Ktuner

Post by KTuner »

We cannot recommend copying settings from other softwares.
MakitaDiesel

Post by MakitaDiesel »

I expected this kind of response, possibly out of liability reasons so I won't begrudge. It is a tiny bit ironic that it's not recommended using settings between softwares because if you'd ask Honda/Acura their take on aftermarket ECU programs they'd say the same thing in deference to you. I digress. If both softwares can be made to use the same units of measurement (RPM, Hg for vacuum, ms for injector duration, etc) then in theory a table can be replicated. The trick is to find and equate the various parameter values which are labelled differently. I'm not concerned with traction control or two-step, just routine sensor compensations like ECT temp or IAT. For now I'll investigate further simply because it's less headache to transcribe hundreds of cells than remove and reinstall half a dozen parts associated with each ECU solution. Also, for what it's worth I believe Ktuner has the best customer support in the ECU game even if the customer base is smaller.
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

There may be settings altering things in the background as well, as we don't know what they do beyond what you can see. For our company there is a lot of custom code involved, so I can't imagine the other side not having alterations of their own.

I appreciate that. Thank you.

Return to “KTuner Software”