Ktuner Software for Macintosh

dropdead

Re: Ktuner Software for Macintosh

Post by dropdead »

dropdead wrote:Parallels is a good program, but it doesn't work well with KTuner for some reason - sometimes it can't connect to ECU for minutes, the connection drops randomly, sometimes it drops while flashing and I have to recover ECU, that's annoying.
No problems with Bootcamp, but it would be great to see a Mac version being made available and I would personally very much be interested in it.

thank you
yesterday I really got angry because of this issue.
I'm running Windows 7 x86 with Parallels 11 on MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan.
I tried to reflash the ECU with updated calibration and in the middle of reflash the progress bar became red, but percents kept going, then KTuner said that reflash has finished, I turned the ignition off and back on, and then the ECU was dead - fuel pump didn't run, all instrument cluster lights except oil pressure light were off and of course the engine won't start. I tried to recover ECU several times, each time KTuner said that reflash completed successfully but after cycling the ignition off/on nothing changed. only after about ten retries KTuner was able to communicate with ECU, then I uploaded my calibration without any issues.

why this issue happens only with Parallels? maybe I'm missing something?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

OS X El Capitan hasn't been released yet, so I have no suggestions for you about OS intervention.

I have two Mac Pros and a MacBook Pro that all run Parallels. The MacBook Pro is my tuning laptop and runs on Win 7.
dropdead

Post by dropdead »

this issue is driving me crazy.
I've created a new VM with a clean install of Windows 10 x64 in Parallels, and now I even can't install the KTuner driver :(

by default Windows 10 installed "Generic WinUSB driver" for KTuner, KTuner software sees the ECU and tries to connect but says that it can't communicate with ECU.

I've tried to install supplied drivers, at first it said that current language is not supported, I've made changes to dpinst.xml (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=97), then I've tried to install the driver again and it just fails.

I've tried to update the driver from Devices Manager and it fails too, saying something like "error when adding the driver to storage".

after that I've tried using Zadig to install WinUSB driver with no luck, the driver has installed but KTuner keeps saying that it can't communicate to ECU and offers to reset/recover ECU.
when I click "Reset" - the ECU responds properly (reboots itself).

any suggestions?
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

If it popped up saying communication with the ECU failed then you were actually connected to the device and didn't need to do anything further with the drivers. You likely didn't have the unit installed in the ECU/vehicle or didn't have the key on in the vehicle.

You can verify operation with the LEDs on the unit.
http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/hardwa ... s_leds.htm
dropdead

Post by dropdead »

I've tried to connect to ECU in the vehicle, while the engine was running :roll:
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

The communication failure message is that the board is unable to communicate with the ECU, not that the software is unable to communicate with the board. See the LED matrix.
dropdead

Post by dropdead »

OK, I'll take a look.

but If I reboot into Boot Camp on the same MacBook - I can connect to the same ECU without any issues, so I doubt that it's a hardware problem :roll:
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

Windows 10 works fine with the software and you are already connected to the device if you get the Communication Failure pop up. That means it's unable to communicate with the ECU.
dropdead

Post by dropdead »

KTuner wrote:Windows 10 works fine with the software and you are already connected to the device if you get the Communication Failure pop up. That means it's unable to communicate with the ECU.
why it's unable to communicate with the ECU only if I'm running Windows in Parallels?
are you sure that it's not a software/driver issue? maybe I can do some logging to figure out what's going on?

as I've noticed before
If I reboot into Boot Camp on the same MacBook - I can connect to the same ECU without any issues
but it is very inconvenient, and I don't want to reboot every time when I need to use KTuner :roll:
KTuner
Site Admin

Post by KTuner »

You're missing the point I made earlier that you have connected to the device if it pops up the ECU Communication Failure message. That means the software is connected to the unit and the unit can't connect to the ECU.

Your driver theory is incorrect or you wouldn't be able to even get that far. You've still mentioned nothing about the LEDs, but I've pointed you to the LED matrix twice now.

Return to “KTuner Software”